developing a pastebin

developing a pastebin

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-27 @ 19:34
Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently OS
but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
which I have currently implemented.
> the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
save. The code is saved as anonymous
> you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in user
as author
> you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over time if
you posted them while being online.
> syntax highlighting.

Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a pastebin? I
know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is a personal
project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features which I
should add.

Looking forward to your replies!

David Baumgold
2013-12-27 @ 20:05
Admin management. Delete pastes, flag or ban users if they post abusive
content. (This is unnecessary if you're running a pastebin just for
yourself, but critical for a public pastebin -- that's why paste.pocoo.org
shut down.)

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently
OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
which I have currently implemented.
> > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
save. The code is saved as anonymous
> > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
user as author
> > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over time
if you posted them while being online.
> > syntax highlighting.
> Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a pastebin?
I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is a
personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
which I should add.
> Looking forward to your replies!

Viktor Evdokimov

yourself, but critical for a public pastebin -- that's why paste.pocoo.org
(http://paste.pocoo.org) shut down.)
> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com
(mailto:yasoobkhld@gmail.com)> wrote:
> > Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not
currently OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the
features which I have currently implemented.
> > > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and
press save. The code is saved as anonymous
> > > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
user as author
> > > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over
time if you posted them while being online.
> > > syntax highlighting.
> > >
> > Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is
a personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
which I should add.
> > Looking forward to your replies!

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-27 @ 20:32
Edvin what do you mean by that. Do you mean to say that there should be an
api endpoint like '/api/create' which should make a new paste if a post
request is made with code?

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Viktor Evdokimov <ojosdegris@gmail.com>wrote:

> Push GIT repo to create new pastebin, but I guess that is what Edvin wrote
> about already
> Best,
> ᏛᎧ
> On Friday, December 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM, David Baumgold wrote:
> Admin management. Delete pastes, flag or ban users if they post abusive
> content. (This is unnecessary if you're running a pastebin just for
> yourself, but critical for a public pastebin -- that's why
paste.pocoo.orgshut down.)
> On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently OS
> but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
> which I have currently implemented.
> the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
> save. The code is saved as anonymous
> you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in user
> as author
> you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted ov er time if
> you posted them while being online.
> syntax highlighting.
> Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a pastebin? I
> know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is a personal
> project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features which I
> should add.
> Looking forward to your replies!

Edvin Malinovskis
2013-12-27 @ 21:14
Didn't have anything specific in mind, but yes that sounds like it would
work

On 27/12/13 20:32, Yasoob Khalid wrote:
> Edvin what do you mean by that. Do you mean to say that there should
> be an api endpoint like '/api/create' which should make a new paste if
> a post request is made with code?
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:11 AM, Viktor Evdokimov
> <ojosdegris@gmail.com <mailto:ojosdegris@gmail.com>> wrote:
>     Push GIT repo to create new pastebin, but I guess that is what
>     Edvin wrote about already
>     --
>     Best,
>     _Ꮫ ^Ꭷ
>     On Friday, December 27, 2013 at 3:05 PM, David Baumgold wrote:
>>     Admin management. Delete pastes, flag or ban users if they post
>>     abusive content. (This is unnecessary if you're running a
>>     pastebin just for yourself, but critical for a public pastebin --
>>     that's why paste.pocoo.org <http://paste.pocoo.org> shut down.)
>>>     On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com
>>>     <mailto:yasoobkhld@gmail.com>> wrote:
>>>     Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not
>>>     currently OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are
>>>     some of the features which I have currently implemented.
>>>>     the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and
>>>>     press save. The code is saved as anonymous
>>>>     you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the
>>>>     logged in user as author
>>>>     you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted ov
>>>>     er time if you posted them while being online.
>>>>     syntax highlighting.
>>>     Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
>>>     pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste
>>>     but this is a personal project so guys please reply with some
>>>     suggestions of features which I should add.
>>>     Looking forward to your replies!

mail@totokaka.io
2013-12-27 @ 21:22
The thing I hate the most about most pastebins is that they only use a
small window in the middle of the screen.
Please have it full-width, like hastebin.com

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-27 @ 21:29
I will have it full-width but a little bit smaller than hastebin.com :)

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 2:22 AM, mail@totokaka.io <mail@totokaka.io> wrote:

> The thing I hate the most about most pastebins is that they only use a
> small window in the middle of the screen.
> Please have it full-width, like hastebin.com

Farhan Ahmed
2013-12-27 @ 20:31
I'm also working on something similar. Would love to help out with your project.

Best,
Farhan : )

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently
OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
which I have currently implemented.
> > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
save. The code is saved as anonymous
> > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
user as author
> > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over time
if you posted them while being online.
> > syntax highlighting.
> Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a pastebin?
I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is a
personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
which I should add.
> Looking forward to your replies!

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-27 @ 20:37
@Farhan what are you making? What features have you incorporated?

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm also working on something similar. Would love to help out with your
> project.
> Best,
> Farhan : )
> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently
> OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
> which I have currently implemented.
> > > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
> save. The code is saved as anonymous
> > > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
> user as author
> > > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over time
> if you posted them while being online.
> > > syntax highlighting.
> > Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a pastebin?
> I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is a personal
> project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features which I
> should add.
> > Looking forward to your replies!

Farhan Ahmed
2013-12-27 @ 22:49
Just usual stuff, quick pasting, a simple API, timed pastes, registering
users so users can keep track, but still allowing pastes without
registering.

Did it for my self and extended it for my team where I use to work. Never
got around to open sourcing it.

Best,
Farhan : )

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Farhan what are you making? What features have you incorporated?
>> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also working on something similar. Would love to help out with your
project.
>> Best,
>> Farhan : )
>> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not
currently OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the
features which I have currently implemented.
>> > > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and
press save. The code is saved as anonymous
>> > > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
user as author
>> > > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over
time if you posted them while being online.
>> > > syntax highlighting.
>> >
>> > Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is
a personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
which I should add.
>> >
>> > Looking forward to your replies!
>> >

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-27 @ 23:05
+1 Farhan
Farhan how did you integrate post expiration? Cron script or some sorcery
in the flask app? I haven't yet integrated it but I am thinking of a
suitable way to integrate this. Can you share some more info for that?
Btw just integrated comments successfully (yay!).

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:

> Just usual stuff, quick pasting, a simple API, timed pastes, registering
> users so users can keep track, but still allowing pastes without
> registering.
> Did it for my self and extended it for my team where I use to work. Never
> got around to open sourcing it.
> Best,
> Farhan : )
> On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> @Farhan what are you making? What features have you incorporated?
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I'm also working on something similar. Would love to help out with your
>> project.
>> Best,
>> Farhan : )
>> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>> >
>> > Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not currently
>> OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the features
>> which I have currently implemented.
>> > > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and press
>> save. The code is saved as anonymous
>> > > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
>> user as author
>> > > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over time
>> if you posted them while being online.
>> > > syntax highlighting.
>> >
>> > Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
>> pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is
>> a personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
>> which I should add.
>> >
>> > Looking forward to your replies!
>> >

mail@totokaka.io
2013-12-28 @ 09:54
Is that per-line comments, or per file?

*------totokaka*
*email:* mail@totokaka.io

2013/12/28 Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com>

> +1 Farhan
> Farhan how did you integrate post expiration? Cron script or some sorcery
> in the flask app? I haven't yet integrated it but I am thinking of a
> suitable way to integrate this. Can you share some more info for that?
> Btw just integrated comments successfully (yay!).
> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just usual stuff, quick pasting, a simple API, timed pastes, registering
>> users so users can keep track, but still allowing pastes without
>> registering.
>> Did it for my self and extended it for my team where I use to work. Never
>> got around to open sourcing it.
>> Best,
>> Farhan : )
>> On Dec 27, 2013, at 2:37 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
>> @Farhan what are you making? What features have you incorporated?
>> On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 1:31 AM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I'm also working on something similar. Would love to help out with your
>>> project.
>>> Best,
>>> Farhan : )
>>> > On Dec 27, 2013, at 1:34 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com>
>>> wrote:
>>> >
>>> > Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not
>>> currently OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of the
>>> features which I have currently implemented.
>>> > > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and
>>> press save. The code is saved as anonymous
>>> > > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
>>> user as author
>>> > > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over
>>> time if you posted them while being online.
>>> > > syntax highlighting.
>>> >
>>> > Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
>>> pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but this is
>>> a personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions of features
>>> which I should add.
>>> >
>>> > Looking forward to your replies!
>>> >

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-28 @ 16:36
per file

Farhan Ahmed
2013-12-28 @ 16:53
While I understand the 'per file' comments, best would be to incorporate
'per line' comments. That would be better functionality and discourse
wise.

Best,
Farhan : )

> On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> per file

Yasoob Khalid
2013-12-28 @ 22:32
Guys I have put the pastebin on heroku. Here is the link
http://logit-bin.herokuapp.com/ Just check it out and tell me some
improvements. :) I hope to listen soon from you guys

Cheers,
Yasoob

On Sat, Dec 28, 2013 at 9:53 PM, Farhan Ahmed <inshany@gmail.com> wrote:

> While I understand the 'per file' comments, best would be to incorporate
> 'per line' comments. That would be better functionality and discourse wise.
> Best,
> Farhan : )
> > On Dec 28, 2013, at 10:36 AM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com>
> wrote:
> > per file

Farhan Ahmed
2013-12-28 @ 16:52
I have cron script that kicks off a celery task to remove expired pastes.
May not be the best way, but it works.

Best,
Farhan : )

> On Dec 27, 2013, at 5:05 PM, Yasoob Khalid <yasoobkhld@gmail.com> wrote:
> +1 Farhan
> Farhan how did you integrate post expiration? Cron script or some
sorcery in the flask app? I haven't yet integrated it but I am thinking of
a suitable way to integrate this. Can you share some more info for that?
> Btw just integrated comments successfully (yay!).

Edvin Malinovskis
2013-12-27 @ 19:57
API that would allow painless use from terminal would be nice

Edvni

On 27/12/13 19:34, Yasoob Khalid wrote:
> Hi there guys. I am developing a pastebin in flask. It is not
> currently OS but I will release the source code soon. Here are some of
> the features which I have currently implemented.
> > the front page gives you a text area. Simply paste the code and
> press save. The code is saved as anonymous
> > you can signup and now if you paste code it will have the logged in
> user as author
> > you can see a list of your own pastes which you have pasted over
> time if you posted them while being online.
> > syntax highlighting.
> Now I want some ideas from you guys. What do you expect from a
> pastebin? I know there are other pastebins as well like dpaste but
> this is a personal project so guys please reply with some suggestions
> of features which I should add.
> Looking forward to your replies!