Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck

Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck

James Willson
2012-06-30 @ 22:46
Hi,
This is my last resort to post here, but nobody seems to have experience
dealing with this stack and for the life of my I cant get my head around
it (I'm new to this Python Sysadmin stuff).
I get this error after running my deployment script: uWSGI Error: Python
application not found
I really don't know how to diagnose this. The UWSGI log file
var/log/uwsgi.log is empty so no clues there.
Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated, I would love to see my
site online rather than these pesky errors!
James

Juancarlo Añez
2012-06-30 @ 23:34
Show us some code, James.

What does the Python WSGI application declaration look like, and how is it
invoked from uWSGI?

-- Juancarlo

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM, James Willson <james_willson@hotmail.com>wrote:

>  Hi,
> This is my last resort to post here, but nobody seems to have experience
> dealing with this stack and for the life of my I cant get my head around it
> (I'm new to this Python Sysadmin stuff).
> I get this error after running my deployment script: uWSGI Error: Python
> application not found
> I really don't know how to diagnose this. The UWSGI log file
> var/log/uwsgi.log is empty so no clues there.
> Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated, I would love to see my
> site online rath er than these pesky errors!
> James

Juancarlo *Añez*

James Willson
2012-07-01 @ 13:25
I've made progress, I think. I found another uwsgi log file that wasnt
empty, this time I found that it said:
========================================================  File
"/home/deploy/repo/app/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>    from flask
import Flask, render_templateImportError: No module named flaskunable to
load app 0 (mountpoint='') (callable not found or import error)
========================================================
My Nginx app-nginx.conf configuration looks like this:server {    listen
80;    server_name  xyz;
location / {        include uwsgi_params;        uwsgi_pass
127.0.0.1:8001;        uwsgi_param SCRIPT_NAME "";    }
}
Finally my app.conf looks like this:
[program:app]directory=/home/deployuser=deploycommand=/opt/bin/uwsgi -H
/home/deploy/venv -L -w app:app --socket 127.0.0.1:8001 --master
--processes 1 --pidfile
/tmp/app-uwsgi.pidstdout_logfile=/home/deploy/logs/uwsgi.logredirect_stderr=truestopsignal=INTautorestart=true
It looks like I can see the error, but again, I dont know why its
happening. Is this enough information for someone to offer me some more
help?
James
Date: Sat, 30 Jun 2012 19:04:05 -0430
From: juancarlo.anez@gmail.com
Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
To: flask@librelist.com

Show us some code, James.
What does the Python WSGI application declaration look like, and how is it
invoked from uWSGI?

-- Juancarlo

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 6:16 PM, James Willson <james_willson@hotmail.com> wrote:

Hi,
This is my last resort to post here, but nobody seems to have experience
dealing with this stack and for the life of my I cant get my head around
it (I'm new to this Python Sysadmin stuff).

I get this error after running my deployment script: uWSGI Error: Python
application not found

I really don't know how to diagnose this. The UWSGI log file
var/log/uwsgi.log is empty so no clues there.

Any help or advice would be hugely appreciated, I would love to see my
site online rath
 er than these pesky errors!
James

Juancarlo Añez

Roberto De Ioris
2012-07-01 @ 13:33
Il giorno 01/lug/2012, alle ore 15:25, James Willson ha scritto:

> I've made progress, I think. I found another uwsgi log file that wasnt
empty, this time I found that it said:
> ========================================================
>   File "/home/deploy/repo/app/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
>     from flask import Flask, render_template
> ImportError: No module named flask
> unable to load app 0 (mountpoint='') (callable not found or import error)
> ========================================================
> My Nginx app-nginx.conf configuration looks like this:
> server {
>     listen       80;
>     server_name  xyz;
> location / {
>         include uwsgi_params;
>         uwsgi_pass 127.0.0.1:8001;
>         uwsgi_param SCRIPT_NAME "";
>     }
> }
> Finally my app.conf looks like this:
> [program:app]
> directory=/home/deploy
> user=deploy
> command=/opt/bin/uwsgi -H /home/deploy/venv -L -w app:app --socket
127.0.0.1:8001 --master --processes 1 --pidfile /tmp/app-uwsgi.pid
> stdout_logfile=/home/deploy/logs/uwsgi.log
> redirect_stderr=true
> stopsignal=INT
> autorestart=true
> It looks like I can see the error, but again, I dont know why its
happening. Is this enough information for someone to offer me some more
help?

First of all, remove supervisor  (you can re-add it later if you need it).

Just run uWSGI from the commandline to see the logs on your terminal.

The nginx config is good.

Simply run uwsgi from the shell:

/opt/bin/uwsgi --virtualenv /home/deploy/venv --socket  127.0.0.1:8001
--chdir /home/deploy --module app:app

(use full options name, at least they will have a meaning ;)

from your option it looks like a file named app.py is under  /home/deploy, right ?

Report the full uWSGI output, if it does not still work

Roberto De Ioris
JID: roberto@jabber.unbit.it

Juancarlo Añez
2012-07-03 @ 14:20
Does your application run with this?

...

if __name__ == '__main__':
    app.run()

-- JA

James Willson
2012-07-01 @ 18:47
Thank you for the help. Running from the command line produces the same
result as with running through supervisor (i get the same message via the
browser):

flaskunable to load app 0 (mountpoint='') (callable not found or import
error)*** no app loaded. going in full dynamic mode ****** uWSGI is
running in multiple interpreter mode ***spawned uWSGI worker 1 (and the
only) (pid: 3709, cores: 1)*** Starting uWSGI 1.2 (32bit) on [Sun Jul  1
14:39:53 2012] ***compiled with version: 4.4.5 on 30 June 2012
15:15:31detected number of CPU cores: 4current working directory:
/rootdetected binary path: /opt/bin/uwsgiuWSGI running as root, you can
use --uid/--gid/--chroot options*** WARNING: you are running uWSGI as root
connections*** Operational MODE: single process ***Traceback (most recent
call last):  File "/home/deploy/repo/app/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
from flask import Flask, render_templateImportError: No module named
flaskunable to load app 0 (mountpoint='') (callable not found or import
error)*** no app loaded. going in full dynamic mode ****** uWSGI is
running in multiple interpreter mode ***spawned uWSGI worker 1 (and the
only) (pid: 3709, cores: 1)
=============================================================
My structure under /home/deploy is as follows:deploy (linked
folder)logspublic_htmlrepovenv
My app is in the following folder:/home/deploy/repo/app
There is no "app.py" on my server or code, I dont think there ever was.
I hope this is enough information to help build up a picture, is there is
anything else I can do to help understand whats going wrong please tell
me.
James
> Date: Sun, 1 Jul 2012 15:33:02 +0200
> From: roberto@unbit.it
> Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Il giorno 01/lug/2012, alle ore 15:25, James Willson ha scritto:
> > I've made progress, I think. I found another uwsgi log file that wasnt
empty, this time I found that it said:
> > ========================================================
> >   File "/home/deploy/repo/app/__init__.py", line 1, in <module>
> >     from flask import Flask, render_template
> > ImportError: No module named flask
> > unable to load app 0 (mountpoint='') (callable not found or import error)
> > ========================================================
> > redirect_stderr=true
> > stopsignal=INT
> > autorestart=true
> > It looks like I can see the error, but again, I dont know why its
happening. Is this enough information for someone to offer me some more
help?
> First of all, remove supervisor  (you can re-add it later if you need it).
> Just run uWSGI from the commandline to see the logs on your terminal.
> The nginx config is good.
> Simply run uwsgi from the shell:
> /opt/bin/uwsgi --virtualenv /home/deploy/venv --socket  127.0.0.1:8001
--chdir /home/deploy --module app:app
> (use full options name, at least they will have a meaning ;)
> from your option it looks like a file named app.py is under
/home/deploy, right ?
> Report the full uWSGI output, if it does not still work
> Roberto De Ioris
> http://unbit.it
> JID: roberto@jabber.unbit.it

Lars Hansson
2012-07-03 @ 04:49
You chdir to /home/deploy but your app is in /home/deply/repo/app so
telling uwsgi to use app:app will not work.
Chdir to /home/deploy/repo/app should make it work.

Cheers,
Lars

Lars Hansson
2012-07-03 @ 04:53
Also, do you have Flask installed in venv? It looks like it isn't.
Activate it and do "pip freeze -l" and check the output.

Cheers,
lars

Karsten Hoffrath
2012-07-02 @ 07:32
Hi,

did you copy and paste the output? It looks like your PythonHome path is invalid:

> Set PythonHome to /h ome/deploy/venv

James Willson
2012-07-03 @ 14:03
I get the same error as before, both in shell and on my site. If anyone is
willing to help directly on my server I would be happy to pay for their
time via paypal, its slowing down development at the moment and its
frustrating.

> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:42:53 +0200
> From: maillists@khoffrath.de
> Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Didn't catch the second line. Can you try to activate the venv in a
shell, start python
> and import the app? Does this throw any errors?
> Am 02.07.2012 10:06, schrieb James Willson:
> > Thank your for the reply. I did copy and paste the output, however, in
a lower line it
> > does say it correctly without the sapce so I dont know what happened
there, but I'm not
> > sure if it is the root of the problem:
> > *"Set PythonHome to /home/deploy/venv"*
> >>
> >>
> >>

Karsten Hoffrath
2012-07-03 @ 20:05
Have you tried Lars suggestions:

> Also, do you have Flask installed in venv? It looks like it isn't.
> Activate it and do "pip freeze -l" and check the output.

The output of pip freeze -l should at least list Flask, Jinja2 and Werkzeug.

On 03.07.2012 16:03, James Willson wrote:
> I get the same error as before, both in shell and on my site. If anyone
> is willing to help directly on my server I would be happy to pay for
> their time via paypal, its slowing down development at the moment and
> its frustrating.
>> Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:42:53 +0200
>> From: maillists@khoffrath.de
>> Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
>> To: flask@librelist.com
>> Didn't catch the second line. Can you try to activate the venv in a
> shell, start python
>> and import the app? Does this throw any errors?
>> Am 02.07.2012 10:06, schrieb James Willson:
>> > Thank your for the reply. I did copy and paste the output, however,
> in a lower line it
>> > does say it correctly without the sapce so I dont know what happened
> there, but I'm not
>> > sure if it is the root of the problem:
>> >
>> >>
>> >>
>> >>

Glen Zangirolami
2012-07-03 @ 20:50
James,

What is the uWSGI command you are running? What parameters are you passing to it?
If you run python <flaskapp> do you get errors? Can you paste those errors here?

I have my stuff setup using supervisor, uWSGI, Nginx and virtualenvs. I
can help but I need more info.

Glen

On Tuesday, July 3, 2012 at 3:05 PM, Karsten Hoffrath wrote:

> Have you tried Lars suggestions:
> > Also, do you have Flask installed in venv? It looks like it isn't.
> > Activate it and do "pip freeze -l" and check the output.
> The output of pip freeze -l should at least list Flask, Jinja2 and Werkzeug.
> On 03.07.2012 16:03, James Willson wrote:
> > I get the same error as before, both in shell and on my site. If anyone
> > is willing to help directly on my server I would be happy to pay for
> > their time via paypal, its slowing down development at the moment and
> > its frustrating.
> > > Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2012 09:42:53 +0200
> > > From: maillists@khoffrath.de (mailto:maillists@khoffrath.de)
> > > Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
> > > To: flask@librelist.com (mailto:flask@librelist.com)
> > >
> > > Didn't catch the second line. Can you try to activate the venv in a
> > shell, start python
> > > and import the app? Does this throw any errors?
> > >
> > > >
> > > > *"Set PythonHome to /ho me/deploy/venv"*
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > > Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:32:03 +0200
> > > > > From: maillists@khoffrath.de (mailto:maillists@khoffrath.de)
> > > > > Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
> > > > > To: flask@librelist.com (mailto:flask@librelist.com)
> > > > >
> > > > > Hi,
> > > > >
> > > > > did you copy and paste the output? It looks like your PythonHome
> > path is invalid:
> > > > >
> > > > > > Set PythonHome to /h ome/deploy/venv

James Willson
2012-07-02 @ 08:06
Thank your for the reply. I did copy and paste the output, however, in a
lower line it does say it correctly without the sapce so I dont know what
happened there, but I'm not sure if it is the root of the problem:
"Set PythonHome to
/home/deploy/venv"

> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:32:03 +0200
> From: maillists@khoffrath.de
> Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
> To: flask@librelist.com
> Hi,
> did you copy and paste the output? It looks like your PythonHome path is
invalid:
> > Set PythonHome to /h ome/deploy/venv

Karsten Hoffrath
2012-07-03 @ 07:42
Didn't catch the second line. Can you try to activate the venv in a shell,
start python
and import the app? Does this throw any errors?

Am 02.07.2012 10:06, schrieb James Willson:
> Thank your for the reply. I did copy and paste the output, however, in a
lower line it
> does say it correctly without the sapce so I dont know what happened
there, but I'm not
> sure if it is the root of the problem:
> *"Set PythonHome to /home/deploy/venv"*
>> Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2012 09:32:03 +0200
>> From: maillists@khoffrath.de
>> Subject: Re: [flask] Deploying Flask UWSGI Nginx VirtualEnv - No luck
>> To: flask@librelist.com
>> Hi,
>> did you copy and paste the output? It looks like your PythonHome path
is invalid: