How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Matthew Frazier
2012-11-26 @ 00:48
Hello, Flaskers,

I have noticed a major upswing in messages that simply contain the word
"unsubscribe" in the subject and/or body. This is *not* how you
unsubscribe from this list.

To unsubscribe from the Flask mailing list, or any list on Librelist,
simply email anything to:

flask-unsubscribe@librelist.com

And you will be sent a confirmation message.

Messages that just say "unsubscribe" have been annoying me for some time
now. I have pinged Zed Shaw (the operator of Librelist) on Twitter to ask
if he will add support for subject-line unsubscriptions (or at least
filter them out and yell at the sender), but in any case, using the
documented unsubscribe method is still the best option.

Thanks,
Matthew Frazier

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Vedran Krivokuca
2012-11-26 @ 08:55
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:48 AM, Matthew Frazier
<leafstormrush@gmail.com> wrote:
> Messages that just say "unsubscribe" have been annoying me for some time now.
> I have pinged Zed Shaw (the operator of Librelist) on Twitter to ask if
he will add
> support for subject-line unsubscriptions (or at least filter them out
and yell at the
> sender), but in any case, using the documented unsubscribe method is still the
> best option.

Honestly, mailing lists should carry in footer basic info. How to
unsubscribe included.

Pozdrav / Greetings, Vedran Krivokuća <vkrivokuca@gmail.com>

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro.

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Audrius Kažukauskas
2012-11-26 @ 09:28
On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 09:55:41 +0100, Vedran Krivokuca wrote:
> Honestly, mailing lists should carry in footer basic info. How to
> unsubscribe included.

Why?  Just because people don't bother to read
<http://flask.pocoo.org/mailinglist/>?  Here's the relevant part:

To unsubscribe again, send a mail to flask-unsubscribe@librelist.com
  and reply to the confirmation mail.

I thought this mailing list is for *programmers*, who by definition
should be smart enough to find information like this.

Audrius Kažukauskas

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Vedran Krivokuca
2012-11-26 @ 11:58
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 10:28 AM, Audrius Kažukauskas
<audrius@neutrino.lt> wrote:
> I thought this mailing list is for *programmers*, who by definition
> should be smart enough to find information like this.

Well 3 things:

1) this list is hugely followed by people who are obviously not smart
enough programmers to google for info you would expect them to google

2) for many users this mailing lists obviously doesn't look like what
they wanted to follow. They might have expected, I dunno, this to be
announcements lists. Then they got a flow of technical jabber and they
want to unsubscribe. Obviously, they are not programmers (all this by
judging the rate of unsubscribe e-mail messages).

3) every mailing list I'm susbsribed to, except this one, contains at
least basic list info in footer. But they all suck I guess. :)

Pozdrav / Greetings, Vedran Krivokuća <vkrivokuca@gmail.com>

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro.

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Audrius Kažukauskas
2012-11-26 @ 12:35
On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 12:58:19 +0100, Vedran Krivokuca wrote:
>  2) for many users this mailing lists obviously doesn't look like what
> they wanted to follow. They might have expected, I dunno, this to be
> announcements lists. Then they got a flow of technical jabber and they
> want to unsubscribe. Obviously, they are not programmers (all this by
> judging the rate of unsubscribe e-mail messages).

Fair enough.  Although I still wonder, where does the idea that you can
send an email with "Unsubscribe" in the subject come from.  I would
expect that if someone doesn't know how to unsubscribe, the first step
would be to look it up somewhere, either on Flask website or google it.
But it is obvious that my expectations are far from reality.  :-)

(BTW, if you try to google the phrase "flask unsubscribe", the URL I
provided in my previous email is the first one.)

>  3) every mailing list I'm susbsribed to, except this one, contains at
> least basic list info in footer. But they all suck I guess. :)

There are more lists that don't add anything to the footer, but yeah,
most Mailman based ones do provide some info.

Audrius Kažukauskas

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Vedran Krivokuca
2012-11-26 @ 12:55
On Mon, Nov 26, 2012 at 1:35 PM, Audrius Kažukauskas
<audrius@neutrino.lt> wrote:
> Fair enough.  Although I still wonder, where does the idea that you can
> send an email with "Unsubscribe" in the subject come from.  I would
> expect that if someone doesn't know how to unsubscribe, the first step
> would be to look it up somewhere, either on Flask website or google it.
> But it is obvious that my expectations are far from reality.  :-)

Can't speak for other people, but I would guess from this (from the
URL you gave earlier):

To subscribe, send a mail to flask@librelist.com and reply to the
confirmation mail.

You, me, and many other people realize that it doesn't necessary mean
that if you subscribe this way to the mailing list it means that you
unsubscribe the same way. But it makes sense if you are too lazy or
too confused to google for proper info, doesn't it?

Pozdrav / Greetings, Vedran Krivokuća <vkrivokuca@gmail.com>

Non bene pro toto libertas venditur auro.

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Edward Budrich
2012-11-26 @ 10:58
I think it is a question of usability which even smart programers do
appreciate. I don't see anything wrong in putting the unsubscribe info into
the footer.

2012/11/26 Audrius Kažukauskas <audrius@neutrino.lt>

> On Mon, 2012-11-26 at 09:55:41 +0100, Vedran Krivokuca wrote:
> > Honestly, mailing lists should carry in footer basic info. How to
> > unsubscribe included.
> Why?  Just because people don't bother to read
> <http://flask.pocoo.org/mailinglist/>?  Here's the relevant part:
>   To unsubscribe again, send a mail to flask-unsubscribe@librelist.com
>   and reply to the confirmation mail.
> I thought this mailing list is for *programmers*, who by definition
> should be smart enough to find information like this.
> Audrius Kažukauskas
> http://neutrino.lt/

Re: [flask] How to unsubscribe from the Flask list

Matthew Frazier
2012-11-26 @ 11:54
On Nov 26, 2012, at 5:58 , Edward Budrich wrote:
> I think it is a question of usability which even smart programers do
appreciate. I don't see anything wrong in putting the unsubscribe info
into the footer.

Librelist *does* include a List-Unsubscribe: header with the appropriate
information, which in theory mail clients should display an "Unsubscribe"
button for. I suppose the mail clients are just not implementing it
correctly.

But there is a reason not to put the unsubscribe info in the footer - when
dealing with multipart messages, it's rather difficult to determine
exactly where to inject the additional footer content, and if you put it
in the wrong place (such as at the end of an HTML attachment), it can
cause weird breakages.