any interest in stats screens?

any interest in stats screens?

David Rueck
2014-01-02 @ 21:38
I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
participate.

For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks ago*
that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS exercise
that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been viewed once!
So, it makes me wonder, how many other people have completed these
exercises in JavaScript and are able to look at mine? Have people completed
them but are just not nitpicking? I just don't really know because I don't
have any data.

If there were a simple stats page that listed (among other things) the
number of people who have completed each exercise, that would be very
insightful as to what might be going on.

Other stats could be super interesting as well, such as nitpicks per day by
language, or by exercise within that language, perhaps? So you could see
not only how many people have completed certain exercises but also how
active the community of nitpickers for that language is.

I would consider helping to create some stats pages if I found the time, if
people thought they would be useful. I'd enjoy collaborating on it, too, if
anyone else was interested in working on it.

Anyway, just curious what you all thought.  :)

-David

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Russell Dunphy
2014-01-02 @ 22:47
I've also thought off and on that this kind of thing would be pretty cool :-)

Have you seen the nit stats page? Should be easy to reuse/repurpose a
bunch of the code behind that to do this.

Russell Dunphy | @rsslldnphy | rsslldnphy.com

> On 2 Jan 2014, at 21:38, David Rueck <drueck@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
participate.
> For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks
ago* that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS
exercise that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been
viewed once! So, it makes me wonder, how many other people have completed
these exercises in JavaScript and are able to look at mine? Have people
completed them but are just not nitpicking? I just don't really know
because I don't have any data.
> If there were a simple stats page that listed (among other things) the
number of people who have completed each exercise, that would be very
insightful as to what might be going on.
> Other stats could be super interesting as well, such as nitpicks per day
by language, or by exercise within that language, perhaps? So you could
see not only how many people have completed certain exercises but also how
active the community of nitpickers for that language is.
> I would consider helping to create some stats pages if I found the time,
if people thought they would be useful. I'd enjoy collaborating on it,
too, if anyone else was interested in working on it.
> Anyway, just curious what you all thought.  :)
> -David

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

David Rueck
2014-01-02 @ 22:48
Yeah, I really like the nit stats page.  :)

-David

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 2:47 PM, Russell Dunphy <russell@russelldunphy.com>wrote:

> I've also thought off and on that this kind of thing would be pretty cool
> :-)
> Have you seen the nit stats page? Should be easy to reuse/repurpose a
> bunch of the code behind that to do this.
> Russell Dunphy | @rsslldnphy | rsslldnphy.com
> > On 2 Jan 2014, at 21:38, David Rueck <drueck@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
> site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
> participate.
> > For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks
> ago* that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS
> exercise that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been
> viewed once! So, it makes me wonder, how many other people have completed
> these exercises in JavaScript and are able to look at mine? Have people
> completed them but are just not nitpicking? I just don't really know
> because I don't have any data.
> > If there were a simple stats page that listed (among other things) the
> number of people who have completed each exercise, that would be very
> insightful as to what might be going on.
> > Other stats could be super interesting as well, such as nitpicks per day
> by language, or by exercise within that language, perhaps? So you could see
> not only how many people have completed certain exercises but also how
> active the community of nitpickers for that language is.
> > I would consider helping to create some stats pages if I found the time,
> if people thought they would be useful. I'd enjoy collaborating on it, too,
> if anyone else was interested in working on it.
> > Anyway, just curious what you all thought.  :)
> > -David

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Katrina Owen
2014-01-03 @ 00:48
On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
> site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
> participate.
> For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks ago*
> that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS exercise
> that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been viewed once!

Ouch!

> If there were a simple stats page that listed (among other things) the
> number of people who have completed each exercise, that would be very
> insightful as to what might be going on.

Uhm... I have pages that do that, but I made them admin-only. I think
that as long as you can't go directly to see solutions from it, there's
no reason why it should be admin.

> Other stats could be super interesting as well, such as nitpicks per day by
> language, or by exercise within that language, perhaps? So you could see
> not only how many people have completed certain exercises but also how
> active the community of nitpickers for that language is.

I would LOVE to see things like this. Also, the ratio of iterations to
nitpicks on an exercise, to see if there are some that generate more
discussion than others.

> I would consider helping to create some stats pages if I found the time, if
> people thought they would be useful. I'd enjoy collaborating on it, too, if
> anyone else was interested in working on it.

I would absolutely love to think about stats -- I have a couple things
that take precedence right now (first: the redesign http://exercism.io/v1.0,
second: extract each language's exercises to a separate repository).
After that I want to think about improving the exercises and ordering
them etc, and for that I'd need to have stats about these types of
things anyway.

Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Katrina Owen
2014-01-03 @ 01:10
On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
> site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
> participate.
> For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks ago*
> that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS exercise
> that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been viewed once!

What about having stats on your dashboard when you log in, relevant to
your current exercises?

Currently working on:
* Ruby - Beer Song [iteration: 8, nits: 2]
  ** 75 people have completed the exercise.
  ** Mean time to first nitpick: {n} hours/days.
  ** Average nits per iteration: {m}

Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

David Rueck
2014-01-03 @ 01:15
Cool! Public stats pages! Yeah, those seem safe enough to be public, right?
Thanks for sharing those. :)

As far as your suggestion of specific stats tailored to your current
exercises on your dashboard, that's brilliant! That's exactly the type of
info that I would suspect people submitting code (myself included) would
find super helpful, if possibly frustrating.  ;)

I'm not sure if I'll have time right away, but would you like me to try
implementing something like that? Or would it be better to wait until after
the redesign and after we've discussed more ideas?

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Katrina Owen <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:

> On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> > I have often wondered about certain basic statistics when I'm using the
> > site that would maybe help me to understand what to expect or how best to
> > participate.
> > For example, I've had a JavaScript exercise that I submitted *10 weeks
> ago*
> > that has only been *viewed* once (without comment), and another JS
> exercise
> > that I submitted a couple of weeks ago that hasn't even been viewed once!
> What about having stats on your dashboard when you log in, relevant to
> your current exercises?
> Currently working on:
> * Ruby - Beer Song [iteration: 8, nits: 2]
>   ** 75 people have completed the exercise.
>   ** Mean time to first nitpick: {n} hours/days.
>   ** Average nits per iteration: {m}
> Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Katrina Owen
2014-01-03 @ 01:31
> On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Katrina Owen <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:
> > What about having stats on your dashboard when you log in, relevant to
> > your current exercises?

On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> I'm not sure if I'll have time right away, but would you like me to try
> implementing something like that? Or would it be better to wait until after
> the redesign and after we've discussed more ideas?

Let's discuss which stats might be useful. I think it would be really
nice to throw together something ridiculously simple (and ugly), so that
people can let us know what *other* things they'd love to have.

This is something that I'd have no trouble throwing together quickly
once I have an idea of what we need.

I'll talk to the designer about this tomorrow, as well, to get it into
the new design.

Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

David Rueck
2014-01-03 @ 01:59
Great! While I'm always glad to help, with your intimate familiarity with
the app I'm sure you could get it done much more quickly than I could.  :)

As far as what stats I'd personally consider useful for an exercise I'm
working on...

1. Number of people who have completed the exercise.
2. Average time until feedback (either nitpick or looks great), probably
weighting toward or only considering some definition of "more recent"
submissions.

Side note: The average time until feedback might be a little tricky because
a lot of people seem to be marking their exercise as completed before
receiving any feedback, and in a way it'd be nice to know, for people who
are actually trying to wait for feedback, how long they are typically
having to wait. Maybe getting an idea of that was what you had in mind when
you listed the average nits per iteration stat? That would give you an idea
if people were even getting feedback or just blowing through the exercises.
So yeah, maybe:

3. Average nits per user-exercise, maybe? I would be a little less
interested in how many nits per iteration than how many nits throughout the
course of working on the exercise, 'cause some people (myself included)
might submit a bunch of iterations in a fairly short time span as they
realize new things on their own, so I wouldn't want that fact to unduly
skew the stat of how much feedback people were getting in general per
exercise. What do you think?

I can't think of anything else for those current exercise stats right off
the top of my head. Your ideas were pretty much exactly the kind of thing I
feel would be useful to see.

And like you said, if you put those stats out there then you will assuredly
get feedback from people with suggestions to adding/tweaking or removing
stats.  :)

Awesome. I think that'll be extremely useful!

-David

On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:31 PM, Katrina Owen <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:

> > On Thu, Jan 2, 2014 at 5:10 PM, Katrina Owen <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:
> > > What about having stats on your dashboard when you log in, relevant to
> > > your current exercises?
> On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> > I'm not sure if I'll have time right away, but would you like me to try
> > implementing something like that? Or would it be better to wait until
> after
> > the redesign and after we've discussed more ideas?
> Let's discuss which stats might be useful. I think it would be really
> nice to throw together something ridiculously simple (and ugly), so that
> people can let us know what *other* things they'd love to have.
> This is something that I'd have no trouble throwing together quickly
> once I have an idea of what we need.
> I'll talk to the designer about this tomorrow, as well, to get it into
> the new design.
> Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Katrina Owen
2014-01-03 @ 02:49
On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> Great! While I'm always glad to help, with your intimate familiarity with
> the app I'm sure you could get it done much more quickly than I could.  :)

Excellent -- thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll throw something
together, and then if you see any obvious improvements, there's be
something to work off of.

Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

David Rueck
2014-01-03 @ 03:27
Awesome, thanks.  : )
On Jan 2, 2014 6:50 PM, "Katrina Owen" <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:

> On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
> > Great! While I'm always glad to help, with your intimate familiarity with
> > the app I'm sure you could get it done much more quickly than I could.
>  :)
> Excellent -- thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll throw something
> together, and then if you see any obvious improvements, there's be
> something to work off of.
> Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Mark IJbema
2014-01-04 @ 10:05
As a small, major sidenote, i would expect the average to give a very
mediocre view of reality. There are a lot of submissions without nits, and
some with heated discussions. Please play around with median at least.

Also, it might be more revealing to do this on a submission i stead of on a
exercise basis. As soon as a submissions receives comments, you are
unblocked again. I find myself caring less about how long the total process
takes since i can start a new exercise in parallel.

Cheers,

Mark

On Friday, January 3, 2014, David Rueck wrote:

> Awesome, thanks.  : )
> On Jan 2, 2014 6:50 PM, "Katrina Owen" <_@kytrinyx.com> wrote:
>> On 01/02, David Rueck wrote:
>> > Great! While I'm always glad to help, with your intimate familiarity
>> with
>> > the app I'm sure you could get it done much more quickly than I could.
>>  :)
>> Excellent -- thanks for the ideas/suggestions. I'll throw something
>> together, and then if you see any obvious improvements, there's be
>> something to work off of.
>> Katrina

Re: [exercism] any interest in stats screens?

Katrina Owen
2014-01-03 @ 01:05
On 01/02, Katrina Owen wrote:
> Uhm... I have pages that do that, but I made them admin-only.

Update:

They're not linked to from anywhere yet, though.

Katrina