issues with echoed messages, client side preauthenticating

issues with echoed messages, client side preauthenticating

Safia Yonker
2015-04-06 @ 17:39
Hi! I have been working on incorporating converse.js into my companies
freight logistic software.  I think you may have had some contact with
my predecessor (Barry Brinster from Aljex software).
I am writing because I have suggested solution for a bug I've found and
because I am hoping for some help.  I want to apologize in advance
because I am a bit of git noobe.
I want to congratulate you.  I see this software has made some great
strides the last few months.
I was previously having issues with carbons not being handled properly.
I see you have sorted most of it out.  there is still one issue though
where if I had a connection that failed before it fully initialized I
get echoed messages.  Basically what's happening is that converse still
has record of the resource and so copies it on messages.  Ejabbered
(which is my xmpp backend) handles the unknown resource by sending the
stanza out to every connected resource for that jid.
I see you look to an id attribute to eliminated echoed messages but it
doesn't work in this instance.  I have re-written the onMessage method
to look to the resource and only display messages whose resource matches
the current instance.  This does work.  I  would be happy to send you
the code (or properely "git" it with forks and commits or whatever as
soon as I figure that whole process out)
The help I need has to do with pre-authenticating the connection...Due
to oddness in our system it really doesn't make sense to do this
server-side (I do have a working pre-bind setup but am trying to
streamline the process)
I would like to pass an authenticated Strophe connection to converse.js
but have so far failed.  I have disconnected the connection before
passing the rid/jid/sid to to converse.initialize and I get no error
messages.  The connection, however, is not functional ( i.e. no chatting
happens) and I see rapidly repeating requests being sent in the
background.  I found where you had noted a bug like this in an earlier
version something regarding a time parameter being interpreted
incorrectly by converse.   I was wondering if you had any ideas about
how I might proceed now.
Thanks so much and again congrats on a solid app.

Safia

Safia Yonker
Aljex Software
(732) 357-8700 ext 236

Re: [conversejs] issues with echoed messages, client side preauthenticating

Jc Brand
2015-04-09 @ 12:06
Hi Safia

Sorry for the relatively late reply.

On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 11:39:02AM -0600, Safia Yonker wrote:
<snip>
> I was previously having issues with carbons not being handled properly.
> I see you have sorted most of it out.  there is still one issue though
> where if I had a connection that failed before it fully initialized I
> get echoed messages.  Basically what's happening is that converse still
> has record of the resource and so copies it on messages.  Ejabbered
> (which is my xmpp backend) handles the unknown resource by sending the
> stanza out to every connected resource for that jid.
> I see you look to an id attribute to eliminated echoed messages but it
> doesn't work in this instance.  I have re-written the onMessage method
> to look to the resource and only display messages whose resource matches
> the current instance.  This does work.  I  would be happy to send you
> the code (or properely "git" it with forks and commits or whatever as
> soon as I figure that whole process out)

Interesting, but it's not completely clear to me why two messages should
still be received.

Is it because the receiving client has two resources associated with it and
then receives a message for each?

I would definitely appreciate your fix, you can also send it as a patch if
you'd like. However, it sounds like there might be a deeper issue which
should be resolved as well. For example, perhaps we need to some code to
discard older resources when connecting.

> The help I need has to do with pre-authenticating the connection...Due
> to oddness in our system it really doesn't make sense to do this
> server-side (I do have a working pre-bind setup but am trying to
> streamline the process)
> I would like to pass an authenticated Strophe connection to converse.js
> but have so far failed.  I have disconnected the connection before
> passing the rid/jid/sid to to converse.initialize and I get no error
> messages.  The connection, however, is not functional ( i.e. no chatting
> happens) and I see rapidly repeating requests being sent in the
> background.  I found where you had noted a bug like this in an earlier
> version something regarding a time parameter being interpreted
> incorrectly by converse.   I was wondering if you had any ideas about
> how I might proceed now.

I've recently added the ability to automatically log in the user without
prebind as long as you pass in the username and password.

It's currently in the anon_login branch and will soon be merged to master.

Basically it adds the new option "auto_login" which you then use together with
"jid" and "password" options to automatically log the user in without requiring
a server-side prebind step.

Perhaps that might help you.

Otherwise, if you have already set up a Strophe connection outside of
converse.js, instead of trying to pass in that connection, you can try to pass
in the rid and sid tokens of that first connection into converse.js and let it
attach to that (i.e. prebind=true).

The first connection then acts as a prebind connection but made in the browser
and not on the back end.

Hope this helps
JC

list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Yang, Debbie
2015-04-09 @ 18:19
I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat server.

I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of the chat
users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their state
(online, offline etc)?  It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to
my list. Something like how google chat or hangouts works where once you
login you can just see everyone in your world without having to add them
specifically. Can I just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked
in the documentation but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?

On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available for
joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all chat
users?

On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not see a way
to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see rooms already
created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new one. Is that
possible?

Thanks,
     Debbie

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Jc Brand
2015-04-13 @ 12:47
On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:19:45PM +0000, Yang, Debbie wrote:
> I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat server.
> I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of the
chat users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their state
(online, offline etc)?

No, as far as I'm aware this is not possible on a standard XMPP server, as XMPP
rests upon a subscription based model where users subscribe to one another's
presence information.

> It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to my list. Something
like how google chat or hangouts works where once you login you can just
see everyone in your world without having to add them specifically. Can I
just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked in the documentation
but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?

You can use "XEP-0144 Roster Item Exchange" to suggest to a client the JIDs a
user should register to.

Converse.js supports XEP-0144 suggestions for adding new users to the roster.
You'll however still have to write the code to make the suggestions.

Basically it sounds to me like you need tighter integration between your
website, the XMPP server and converse.js. Specifically with regards to the
social graph and how it's set up.

This is something you'll need to develop yourself or get a developer/consultant
to help you with.

> On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available for
joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all chat
users?

No. Those two things are unrelated.

> On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not see a way
to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see rooms already
created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new one. Is that
possible?

The newest version of converse.js has an API method converse.rooms.open.

JC

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Thomas Camaran
2015-04-13 @ 12:48
it's possible to enable server user search but with a lot number of user
this function lock server :-) and it's a setting server side

2015-04-13 14:47 GMT+02:00 JC Brand <lists@opkode.com>:

> On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:19:45PM +0000, Yang, Debbie wrote:
> > I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat server.
> > I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of the
> chat users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their state
> (online, offline etc)?
> No, as far as I'm aware this is not possible on a standard XMPP server, as
> XMPP
> rests upon a subscription based model where users subscribe to one
> another's
> presence information.
> > It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to my list. Something
> like how google chat or hangouts works where once you login you can just
> see everyone in your world without having to add them specifically. Can I
> just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked in the documentation
> but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?
> You can use "XEP-0144 Roster Item Exchange" to suggest to a client the
> JIDs a
> user should register to.
> Converse.js supports XEP-0144 suggestions for adding new users to the
> roster.
> You'll however still have to write the code to make the suggestions.
> Basically it sounds to me like you need tighter integration between your
> website, the XMPP server and converse.js. Specifically with regards to the
> social graph and how it's set up.
> This is something you'll need to develop yourself or get a
> developer/consultant
> to help you with.
> > On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available for
> joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all chat users?
> No. Those two things are unrelated.
> > On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not see a way
> to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see rooms already
> created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new one. Is that
> possible?
> The newest version of converse.js has an API method converse.rooms.open.
> JC

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Jc Brand
2015-04-13 @ 13:10
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 02:48:59PM +0200, Thomas Camaran wrote:
>    it's possible to enable server user search but with a lot number of user
>    this function lock server :-) and it's a setting server side

Yes, but this is only available to administrators, not to clients, right?

>    2015-04-13 14:47 GMT+02:00 JC Brand <[1]lists@opkode.com>:
>      On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:19:45PM +0000, Yang, Debbie wrote:
>      > I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat
>      server.
>      >
>      > I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of the
>      chat users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their
>      state (online, offline etc)?
>      No, as far as I'm aware this is not possible on a standard XMPP server,
>      as XMPP
>      rests upon a subscription based model where users subscribe to one
>      another's
>      presence information.
>      > It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to my list. Something
>      like how google chat or hangouts works where once you login you can just
>      see everyone in your world without having to add them specifically. Can
>      I just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked in the
>      documentation but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?
>      You can use "XEP-0144 Roster Item Exchange" to suggest to a client the
>      JIDs a
>      user should register to.
>      Converse.js supports XEP-0144 suggestions for adding new users to the
>      roster.
>      You'll however still have to write the code to make the suggestions.
>      Basically it sounds to me like you need tighter integration between your
>      website, the XMPP server and converse.js. Specifically with regards to
>      the
>      social graph and how it's set up.
>      This is something you'll need to develop yourself or get a
>      developer/consultant
>      to help you with.
>      > On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available for
>      joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all chat
>      users?
>      No. Those two things are unrelated.
>      > On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not see a
>      way to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see rooms
>      already created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new one. Is
>      that possible?
>      The newest version of converse.js has an API method converse.rooms.open.
>      JC
> References
>    Visible links
>    1. mailto:lists@opkode.com

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Thomas Camaran
2015-04-13 @ 13:15

Inviato da iPhone

> Il giorno 13/apr/2015, alle ore 15:10, JC Brand <lists@opkode.com> ha scritto:
>> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 02:48:59PM +0200, Thomas Camaran wrote:
>>   it's possible to enable server user search but with a lot number of user
>>   this function lock server :-) and it's a setting server side
> Yes, but this is only available to administrators, not to clients, right?
>>   2015-04-13 14:47 GMT+02:00 JC Brand <[1]lists@opkode.com>:
>>>     On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:19:45PM +0000, Yang, Debbie wrote:
>>> I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat
>>     server.
>>> I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of the
>>     chat users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their
>>     state (online, offline etc)?
>>     No, as far as I'm aware this is not possible on a standard XMPP server,
>>     as XMPP
>>     rests upon a subscription based model where users subscribe to one
>>     another's
>>     presence information.
>>> It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to my list. Something
>>     like how google chat or hangouts works where once you login you can just
>>     see everyone in your world without having to add them specifically. Can
>>     I just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked in the
>>     documentation but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?
>>     You can use "XEP-0144 Roster Item Exchange" to suggest to a client the
>>     JIDs a
>>     user should register to.
>>     Converse.js supports XEP-0144 suggestions for adding new users to the
>>     roster.
>>     You'll however still have to write the code to make the suggestions.
>>     Basically it sounds to me like you need tighter integration between your
>>     website, the XMPP server and converse.js. Specifically with regards to
>>     the
>>     social graph and how it's set up.
>>     This is something you'll need to develop yourself or get a
>>     developer/consultant
>>     to help you with.
>>> On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available for
>>     joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all chat
>>     users?
>>     No. Those two things are unrelated.
>>> On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not see a
>>     way to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see rooms
>>     already created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new one. Is
>>     that possible?
>>     The newest version of converse.js has an API method converse.rooms.open.
>>     JC
>> References
>>   Visible links
>>   1. mailto:lists@opkode.com

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

paparazzia
2015-04-13 @ 15:58
The search is in xep 0055. Not widely implemented  : metronome, but not in
prosody 0.9 (available as a module though).

The way it works could fit in converse : client make a get to know the
fields,  client render the fields as a search form, and then make a set to
perform the search.

Le lun. 13 avr. 2015 15:10, JC Brand <lists@opkode.com> a écrit :

> On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 02:48:59PM +0200, Thomas Camaran wrote:
> >    it's possible to enable server user search but with a lot number of
> user
> >    this function lock server :-) and it's a setting server side
> Yes, but this is only available to administrators, not to clients, right?
> >    2015-04-13 14:47 GMT+02:00 JC Brand <[1]lists@opkode.com>:
> >      On Thu, Apr 09, 2015 at 06:19:45PM +0000, Yang, Debbie wrote:
> >      > I have converse configured and it is talking to my openfire chat
> >      server.
> >      >
> >      > I can add contacts but is there a way to automatically see all of
> the
> >      chat users that are registered on my chat server regardless of their
> >      state (online, offline etc)?
> >      No, as far as I'm aware this is not possible on a standard XMPP
> server,
> >      as XMPP
> >      rests upon a subscription based model where users subscribe to one
> >      another's
> >      presence information.
> >      > It's cumbersome to have to add them one by one to my list.
> Something
> >      like how google chat or hangouts works where once you login you can
> just
> >      see everyone in your world without having to add them specifically.
> Can
> >      I just get a list of the users automatically?  I looked in the
> >      documentation but did not see any way to do this -- is it possible?
> >      You can use "XEP-0144 Roster Item Exchange" to suggest to a client
> the
> >      JIDs a
> >      user should register to.
> >      Converse.js supports XEP-0144 suggestions for adding new users to
> the
> >      roster.
> >      You'll however still have to write the code to make the suggestions.
> >      Basically it sounds to me like you need tighter integration between
> your
> >      website, the XMPP server and converse.js. Specifically with regards
> to
> >      the
> >      social graph and how it's set up.
> >      This is something you'll need to develop yourself or get a
> >      developer/consultant
> >      to help you with.
> >      > On a related note, I can see a list of rooms that are available
> for
> >      joining, so I thought there should be a way to get a list of all
> chat
> >      users?
> >      No. Those two things are unrelated.
> >      > On the chat rooms (looking through the documentation I did not
> see a
> >      way to do this) can I create a room using conversejs?  I can see
> rooms
> >      already created and join them, but I can't seem to create a new
> one. Is
> >      that possible?
> >      The newest version of converse.js has an API method
> converse.rooms.open.
> >      JC
> > References
> >    Visible links
> >    1. mailto:lists@opkode.com

Re: [conversejs] list of logged in chat users? creating rooms?

Jc Brand
2015-04-16 @ 07:31
On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 03:58:11PM +0000, paparazzia wrote:
>    The search is in xep 0055. Not widely implemented  : metronome, but not in
>    prosody 0.9 (available as a module though).
>    The way it works could fit in converse : client make a get to know the
>    fields,  client render the fields as a search form, and then make a set to
>    perform the search.

Yeah, sounds similar to how registration works. Would be a nice feature to have.

Re: [conversejs] issues with echoed messages, client side preauthenticating

Safia Yonker
2015-04-13 @ 20:36
NP.
here is the little bit of code I added to eliminate the echoes:
added before line 3088
  if($message.attr('to') !== converse.connection.jid &&
$message.attr('to') !== converse.bare_jid){
                   return true;
                 }
I am trying to "make build" but I am failing on some crypto
dependencies.  I did do the "make dev" step without errors.

racing dependencies for: components/almond/almond.js
Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory

'/home/safia/chat2.0/converse.js-0.9.2/components/crypto-js-evanvosberg/src/md5.js'
In module tree:
     main
       converse
         converse-dependencies
           otr
             crypto

thanks for your help!

Safia

Error: Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory

On 4/9/2015 6:06 AM, JC Brand wrote:
> Hi Safia
> Sorry for the relatively late reply.
> On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 11:39:02AM -0600, Safia Yonker wrote:
> <snip>
>> I was previously having issues with carbons not being handled properly.
>> I see you have sorted most of it out.  there is still one issue though
>> where if I had a connection that failed before it fully initialized I
>> get echoed messages.  Basically what's happening is that converse still
>> has record of the resource and so copies it on messages.  Ejabbered
>> (which is my xmpp backend) handles the unknown resource by sending the
>> stanza out to every connected resource for that jid.
>> I see you look to an id attribute to eliminated echoed messages but it
>> doesn't work in this instance.  I have re-written the onMessage method
>> to look to the resource and only display messages whose resource matches
>> the current instance.  This does work.  I  would be happy to send you
>> the code (or properely "git" it with forks and commits or whatever as
>> soon as I figure that whole process out)
> Interesting, but it's not completely clear to me why two messages should
> still be received.
> Is it because the receiving client has two resources associated with it and
> then receives a message for each?
> I would definitely appreciate your fix, you can also send it as a patch if
> you'd like. However, it sounds like there might be a deeper issue which
> should be resolved as well. For example, perhaps we need to some code to
> discard older resources when connecting.
>> The help I need has to do with pre-authenticating the connection...Due
>> to oddness in our system it really doesn't make sense to do this
>> server-side (I do have a working pre-bind setup but am trying to
>> streamline the process)
>> I would like to pass an authenticated Strophe connection to converse.js
>> but have so far failed.  I have disconnected the connection before
>> passing the rid/jid/sid to to converse.initialize and I get no error
>> messages.  The connection, however, is not functional ( i.e. no chatting
>> happens) and I see rapidly repeating requests being sent in the
>> background.  I found where you had noted a bug like this in an earlier
>> version something regarding a time parameter being interpreted
>> incorrectly by converse.   I was wondering if you had any ideas about
>> how I might proceed now.
> I've recently added the ability to automatically log in the user without
> prebind as long as you pass in the username and password.
> It's currently in the anon_login branch and will soon be merged to master.
> "jid" and "password" options to automatically log the user in without requiring
> a server-side prebind step.
> Perhaps that might help you.
> Otherwise, if you have already set up a Strophe connection outside of
> attach to that (i.e. prebind=true).
> and not on the back end.
> Hope this helps
> JC

Safia Yonker
Aljex Software
(732) 357-8700 ext 236

Re: [conversejs] issues with echoed messages, client side preauthenticating

Jc Brand
2015-04-16 @ 07:44
Hi Safia

When writing to the list, don't try to create a new thread by replying to an
existing thread and then changing the subject. This doesn't work and your email
still appears in the thread you replied to.

Instead you should create a new email (not reply) or reply to the correct
original thread.

About your fix, thanks, I've committed something like it to the master branch.

The build error you get was fixed in master already, see here:

JC

On Mon, Apr 13, 2015 at 02:36:58PM -0600, Safia Yonker wrote:
> NP.
> here is the little bit of code I added to eliminate the echoes:
> added before line 3088
>   if($message.attr('to') !== converse.connection.jid &&
> $message.attr('to') !== converse.bare_jid){
>                    return true;
>                  }
> I am trying to "make build" but I am failing on some crypto
> dependencies.  I did do the "make dev" step without errors.
> racing dependencies for: components/almond/almond.js
> Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory
> In module tree:
>      main
>        converse
>          converse-dependencies
>            otr
>              crypto
> thanks for your help!
> Safia
> Error: Error: ENOENT, no such file or directory
> On 4/9/2015 6:06 AM, JC Brand wrote:
> > Hi Safia
> > Sorry for the relatively late reply.
> > On Mon, Apr 06, 2015 at 11:39:02AM -0600, Safia Yonker wrote:
> > <snip>
> >> I was previously having issues with carbons not being handled properly.
> >> I see you have sorted most of it out.  there is still one issue though
> >> where if I had a connection that failed before it fully initialized I
> >> get echoed messages.  Basically what's happening is that converse still
> >> has record of the resource and so copies it on messages.  Ejabbered
> >> (which is my xmpp backend) handles the unknown resource by sending the
> >> stanza out to every connected resource for that jid.
> >> I see you look to an id attribute to eliminated echoed messages but it
> >> doesn't work in this instance.  I have re-written the onMessage method
> >> to look to the resource and only display messages whose resource matches
> >> the current instance.  This does work.  I  would be happy to send you
> >> the code (or properely "git" it with forks and commits or whatever as
> >> soon as I figure that whole process out)
> > Interesting, but it's not completely clear to me why two messages should
> > still be received.
> > Is it because the receiving client has two resources associated with it and
> > then receives a message for each?
> > I would definitely appreciate your fix, you can also send it as a patch if
> > you'd like. However, it sounds like there might be a deeper issue which
> > should be resolved as well. For example, perhaps we need to some code to
> > discard older resources when connecting.
> >> The help I need has to do with pre-authenticating the connection...Due
> >> to oddness in our system it really doesn't make sense to do this
> >> server-side (I do have a working pre-bind setup but am trying to
> >> streamline the process)
> >> I would like to pass an authenticated Strophe connection to converse.js
> >> but have so far failed.  I have disconnected the connection before
> >> passing the rid/jid/sid to to converse.initialize and I get no error
> >> messages.  The connection, however, is not functional ( i.e. no chatting
> >> happens) and I see rapidly repeating requests being sent in the
> >> background.  I found where you had noted a bug like this in an earlier
> >> version something regarding a time parameter being interpreted
> >> incorrectly by converse.   I was wondering if you had any ideas about
> >> how I might proceed now.
> > I've recently added the ability to automatically log in the user without
> > prebind as long as you pass in the username and password.
> > It's currently in the anon_login branch and will soon be merged to master.
> > Basically it adds the new option "auto_login" which you then use together with
> > "jid" and "password" options to automatically log the user in without
requiring
> > a server-side prebind step.
> > Perhaps that might help you.
> > Otherwise, if you have already set up a Strophe connection outside of
> > converse.js, instead of trying to pass in that connection, you can try to pass
> > in the rid and sid tokens of that first connection into converse.js and let it
> > attach to that (i.e. prebind=true).
> > The first connection then acts as a prebind connection but made in the browser
> > and not on the back end.
> > Hope this helps