Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Simon Hill
2014-11-11 @ 15:16
Apologies if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the answer in the
docs.

When converse.js initializes, I want it to pre-fetch the names of connected
chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room subdomain field (ie I
don't want users to be able to chat with other chat servers).

I have the following flags set:

hide_muc_server: false

auto_list_rooms: true

This hides the subdomain field, but at this point converse.js does not know
my server chat subdomain. Is there a way to preconfigure that?

Thanks!
Simon

Re: [conversejs] Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Juan Jose Huelga
2014-11-11 @ 19:38
When you call the conversejs init method you need to specified the
'bosh_service_url', that's when you tell to converse your XMPP server.
I think that's you are looking for, you don't set (i.e) a server
domain like my.jabber-server.org to converse, you set the bosh service
url of your XMMP server to converse instead and then converse will be
authenticating against it.

You can restrict your users to chat with other chat servers with some
server side configuration too, if you can check your server
documentation. In Openfire you can check the 'Server to Server
Settings' in 'Serve Settings', I think it can help you.

Regards

On 11/11/14, Simon Hill <simonhill303@gmail.com> wrote:
> Apologies if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the answer in the
> docs.
> When converse.js initializes, I want it to pre-fetch the names of connected
> chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room subdomain field (ie I
> don't want users to be able to chat with other chat servers).
> I have the following flags set:
> hide_muc_server: false
> auto_list_rooms: true
> This hides the subdomain field, but at this point converse.js does not know
> my server chat subdomain. Is there a way to preconfigure that?
> Thanks!
> Simon

Re: [conversejs] Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Simon Hill
2014-11-11 @ 19:57
Thanks for responding.

To clarify:

I do set bosh_service_url, which works fine, but chat rooms are on a
subdomain, such as conference.localhost. In my case they are on
chat.localhost.

So the question remains, what chat server subdomain is converse.js using
when I set hide_muc_server to false, and can I change it to chat.localhost?
I want the available chatrooms to be listed by default, and I don't want
converse to ask the user to enter a chat room server address.

Thanks any ideas.

On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Juan Jose Huelga <jjhuelga@gmail.com>
wrote:

> When you call the conversejs init method you need to specified the
> 'bosh_service_url', that's when you tell to converse your XMPP server.
> I think that's you are looking for, you don't set (i.e) a server
> domain like my.jabber-server.org to converse, you set the bosh service
> url of your XMMP server to converse instead and then converse will be
> authenticating against it.
> You can restrict your users to chat with other chat servers with some
> server side configuration too, if you can check your server
> documentation. In Openfire you can check the 'Server to Server
> Settings' in 'Serve Settings', I think it can help you.
> Regards
> On 11/11/14, Simon Hill <simonhill303@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Apologies if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the answer in
> the
> > docs.
> > When converse.js initializes, I want it to pre-fetch the names of
> connected
> > chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room subdomain field
> (ie I
> > don't want users to be able to chat with other chat servers).
> > I have the following flags set:
> > hide_muc_server: false
> > auto_list_rooms: true
> > This hides the subdomain field, but at this point converse.js does not
> know
> > my server chat subdomain. Is there a way to preconfigure that?
> > Thanks!
> > Simon

Re: [conversejs] Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Jc Brand
2014-11-12 @ 15:29
On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:57:17AM -0800, Simon Hill wrote:
>    Thanks for responding.
>    To clarify:
>    I do set bosh_service_url, which works fine, but chat rooms are on a
>    subdomain, such as conference.localhost. In my case they are on
>    chat.localhost.
>    So the question remains, what chat server subdomain is converse.js using
>    when I set hide_muc_server to false, and can I change it to
>    chat.localhost? I want the available chatrooms to be listed by default,
>    and I don't want converse to ask the user to enter a chat room server
>    address.
>    Thanks any ideas.

converse.js uses XEP-030 (Service Discovery) to determine whether the current
XMPP server has an MUC component, and if it does, will set the "server" input
field to the correct subdomain as specified by the XMPP server itself.

This works. If I log in as jc@opkode.com, then the "server" field automatically
gets populated with conference.opkode.com.

There is however a bug with keepalive option. If you reload the page, then
converse.js doesn't again get the MUC server subdomain (and the value is not
stored) so that field is then not set.

JC

>    On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Juan Jose Huelga <[1]jjhuelga@gmail.com>
>    wrote:
>      When you call the conversejs init method you need to specified the
>      'bosh_service_url', that's when you tell to converse your XMPP server.
>      I think that's you are looking for, you don't set (i.e) a server
>      domain like [2]my.jabber-server.org to converse, you set the bosh
>      service
>      url of your XMMP server to converse instead and then converse will be
>      authenticating against it.
>      You can restrict your users to chat with other chat servers with some
>      server side configuration too, if you can check your server
>      documentation. In Openfire you can check the 'Server to Server
>      Settings' in 'Serve Settings', I think it can help you.
>      Regards
>      On 11/11/14, Simon Hill <[3]simonhill303@gmail.com> wrote:
>      > Apologies if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the answer in
>      the
>      > docs.
>      >
>      > When converse.js initializes, I want it to pre-fetch the names of
>      connected
>      > chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room subdomain field
>      (ie I
>      > don't want users to be able to chat with other chat servers).
>      >
>      > I have the following flags set:
>      >
>      > hide_muc_server: false
>      >
>      > auto_list_rooms: true
>      >
>      > This hides the subdomain field, but at this point converse.js does not
>      know
>      > my server chat subdomain. Is there a way to preconfigure that?
>      >

Simon Hill
2014-11-12 @ 21:38
Ok. yeah. It is that bug. Thanks for the swift response. +1 for fixing that
bug.

On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 7:29 AM, JC Brand <lists@opkode.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:57:17AM -0800, Simon Hill wrote:
> >    Thanks for responding.
> >    To clarify:
> >    I do set bosh_service_url, which works fine, but chat rooms are on a
> >    subdomain, such as conference.localhost. In my case they are on
> >    chat.localhost.
> >    So the question remains, what chat server subdomain is converse.js
> using
> >    when I set hide_muc_server to false, and can I change it to
> >    chat.localhost? I want the available chatrooms to be listed by
> default,
> >    and I don't want converse to ask the user to enter a chat room server
> >    address.
> >    Thanks any ideas.
> converse.js uses XEP-030 (Service Discovery) to determine whether the
> current
> XMPP server has an MUC component, and if it does, will set the "server"
> input
> field to the correct subdomain as specified by the XMPP server itself.
> This works. If I log in as jc@opkode.com, then the "server" field
> automatically
> gets populated with conference.opkode.com.
> There is however a bug with keepalive option. If you reload the page, then
> converse.js doesn't again get the MUC server subdomain (and the value is
> not
> stored) so that field is then not set.
> https://github.com/jcbrand/converse.js/issues/237
> JC
> >    On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Juan Jose Huelga <[1]
> jjhuelga@gmail.com>
> >    wrote:
> >      When you call the conversejs init method you need to specified the
> >      'bosh_service_url', that's when you tell to converse your XMPP
> server.
> >      I think that's you are looking for, you don't set (i.e) a server
> >      domain like [2]my.jabber-server.org to converse, you set the bosh
> >      service
> >      url of your XMMP server to converse instead and then converse will
> be
> >      authenticating against it.
> >      You can restrict your users to chat with other chat servers with
> some
> >      server side configuration too, if you can check your server
> >      documentation. In Openfire you can check the 'Server to Server
> >      Settings' in 'Serve Settings', I think it can help you.
> >      Regards
> >      On 11/11/14, Simon Hill <[3]simonhill303@gmail.com> wrote:
> >      > Apologies if this has been asked before; I couldn't find the
> answer in
> >      the
> >      > docs.
> >      >
> >      > When converse.js initializes, I want it to pre-fetch the names of
> >      connected
> >      > chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room subdomain
> field
> >      (ie I
> >      > don't want users to be able to chat with other chat servers).
> >      >
> >      > I have the following flags set:
> >      >
> >      > hide_muc_server: false
> >      >
> >      > auto_list_rooms: true
> >      >
> >      > This hides the subdomain field, but at this point converse.js
> does not
> >      know
> >      > my server chat subdomain. Is there a way to preconfigure that?
> >      >
> >      > Thanks!
> >      > Simon
> >      >
> > References
> >    Visible links
> >    1. mailto:jjhuelga@gmail.com
> >    2. http://my.jabber-server.org/
> >    3. mailto:simonhill303@gmail.com

Re: [conversejs] Preconfiguring a hidden chat server address

Jc Brand
2014-11-15 @ 20:54

On 12 November 2014 10:38:17 nm. CET, Simon Hill <simonhill303@gmail.com> wrote:
>Ok. yeah. It is that bug. Thanks for the swift response. +1 for fixing
>that
>bug.

Fixed now.

>On Wed, Nov 12, 2014 at 7:29 AM, JC Brand <lists@opkode.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:57:17AM -0800, Simon Hill wrote:
>> >    Thanks for responding.
>> >    To clarify:
>> >    I do set bosh_service_url, which works fine, but chat rooms are
>on a
>> >    subdomain, such as conference.localhost. In my case they are on
>> >    chat.localhost.
>> >
>> >    So the question remains, what chat server subdomain is
>converse.js
>> using
>> >    when I set hide_muc_server to false, and can I change it to
>> >    chat.localhost? I want the available chatrooms to be listed by
>> default,
>> >    and I don't want converse to ask the user to enter a chat room
>server
>> >    address.
>> >    Thanks any ideas.
>> converse.js uses XEP-030 (Service Discovery) to determine whether the
>> current
>> XMPP server has an MUC component, and if it does, will set the
>"server"
>> input
>> field to the correct subdomain as specified by the XMPP server
>itself.
>> This works. If I log in as jc@opkode.com, then the "server" field
>> automatically
>> gets populated with conference.opkode.com.
>> There is however a bug with keepalive option. If you reload the page,
>then
>> converse.js doesn't again get the MUC server subdomain (and the value
>is
>> not
>> stored) so that field is then not set.
>> https://github.com/jcbrand/converse.js/issues/237
>> JC
>> >    On Tue, Nov 11, 2014 at 11:38 AM, Juan Jose Huelga <[1]
>> jjhuelga@gmail.com>
>> >    wrote:
>> >
>> >      When you call the conversejs init method you need to specified
>the
>> >      'bosh_service_url', that's when you tell to converse your XMPP
>> server.
>> >      I think that's you are looking for, you don't set (i.e) a
>server
>> >      domain like [2]my.jabber-server.org to converse, you set the
>bosh
>> >      service
>> >      url of your XMMP server to converse instead and then converse
>will
>> be
>> >      authenticating against it.
>> >
>> >      You can restrict your users to chat with other chat servers
>with
>> some
>> >      server side configuration too, if you can check your server
>> >      documentation. In Openfire you can check the 'Server to Server
>> >      Settings' in 'Serve Settings', I think it can help you.
>> >
>names of
>> >      connected
>> >      > chat rooms, but I don't want it to show the chat room
>subdomain
>> field
>> >      (ie I
>> >      > don't want users to be able to chat with other chat
>servers).
>> > References
>> >
>> >    Visible links
>> >    1. mailto:jjhuelga@gmail.com
>> >    2. http://my.jabber-server.org/
>> >    3. mailto:simonhill303@gmail.com

Diese Nachricht wurde von meinem Android-Mobiltelefon mit K-9 Mail gesendet.