Ethos of HC

Ethos of HC

Scott Arter
2012-01-03 @ 14:39
Hey Guys,

I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next meeting

1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still coming
and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here

2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?

Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Nikki Lorenz
2012-01-03 @ 15:33
I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
people that the students were excited about reaching out to.

With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to sit
down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too.
What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?

On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Guys,
> I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next meeting
> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still
coming and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement
or passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
> Scott
> TODAY(Beta)
> Iran warns U.S. aircraft carrier not to return
> Iran's army chief issues the most aggressive statement yet as tensions escalate.
> Powered by Yahoo! • Privacy Policy

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Scott Arter
2012-01-03 @ 15:40
That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to just
having superficial conversations about video games or what they did over
the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know how
to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'

What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry change?

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nikki Lorenz <nikkilorenz@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to sit
> down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too. What
> if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
> conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
> tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey Guys,
> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next meeting
> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
> level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still coming
> and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
> passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
> teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
> this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
> Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Mike Sanda
2012-01-03 @ 20:03
I think alot of it stems from the boys not knowing how to relate in a deep
way because of like you said video games and what not.. I don't think that
this means it can't change but i think a work shop or maybe making it a
goal to lead by example after meetings. But i do think that with this age
group boys tend to not relate to each other as deeply as the girls.

I think the encouragement circle was great though that i think that it did
show that they are able to talk to one another in a deep serious way. I
think thats exciting to know our boys can do it they just need to be
challenged and refined in the art.. I personally have done a shitty job
challenging my boys to talk to people about this.

Thanks for bringing it up though!

Maybe doing more small discussion groups after cell to spur convo? Thoughts?

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:

> That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to just
> having superficial conversations about video games or what they did over
> the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know how
> to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'
> What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry change?
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nikki Lorenz <nikkilorenz@yahoo.com>wrote:
>> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
>> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
>> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
>> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
>> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
>> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to
>> sit down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too.
>> What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
>> conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
>> tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Hey Guys,
>> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next meeting
>> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
>> level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still coming
>> and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
>> passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
>> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
>> teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
>> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
>> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
>> this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
>> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
>> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
>> Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Scott Arter
2012-01-05 @ 21:40
That's a good point about the encouragement circle. That gives me hope that
they CAN actually encourage each other and be involved with each other in a
deeper way.

What could we cover if we did a workshop?

What about all of us making a concerted effort to talk to our dudes about a
goal of trying to talk for at least 15 mins after the teaching? Might be
good to remind them of the purpose of why we meet. Not just for fun but to
serve God.

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Mike Sanda <msanda21@gmail.com> wrote:

> I think alot of it stems from the boys not knowing how to relate in a deep
> way because of like you said video games and what not.. I don't think that
> this means it can't change but i think a work shop or maybe making it a
> goal to lead by example after meetings. But i do think that with this age
> group boys tend to not relate to each other as deeply as the girls.
> I think the encouragement circle was great though that i think that it did
> show that they are able to talk to one another in a deep serious way. I
> think thats exciting to know our boys can do it they just need to be
> challenged and refined in the art.. I personally have done a shitty job
> challenging my boys to talk to people about this.
> Thanks for bringing it up though!
> Maybe doing more small discussion groups after cell to spur convo?
> Thoughts?
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to
>> just having superficial conversations about video games or what they did
>> over the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know
>> how to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'
>> What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry
>> change?
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nikki Lorenz <nikkilorenz@yahoo.com>wrote:
>>> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
>>> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
>>> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
>>> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
>>> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
>>> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to
>>> sit down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too.
>>> What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
>>> conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
>>> tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
>>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Hey Guys,
>>> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next meeting
>>> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
>>> level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still coming
>>> and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
>>> passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
>>> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
>>> teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
>>> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
>>> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
>>> this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
>>> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
>>> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
>>> Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Zachary Van Meter
2012-01-06 @ 15:08
The drop in excitement is typical around this time of year. Perhaps part of
the issue when it comes to evangelism specifically is the fact that our
people haven't seen any of the people we've been praying for recently
either accept Christ or commit to group. Maybe the lack of excitement is
tied to a lack of confidence and loss of hope. I've gotten that since
during prayer meetings a couple times, but that could be just me.

I don't really like the idea of doing a workshop on having 'real talk'...
It seems like it would end up being either cheesy or patronizing to have a
group meeting on how to have a deep conversation/ask questions or whatever.
I think doing the encouragement circle after cell was sweet, and
historically doing stuff like that has always been a success. I think
trying to incorporate breaking into small groups after cell to talk/pray
would be a good way to facilitate change here. Also we should be hitting on
this in discipleship time, as well as trying to model it ourselves after
the meeting. I like Scott's idea about the 15 minutes.

On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:

> That's a good point about the encouragement circle. That gives me hope
> that they CAN actually encourage each other and be involved with each other
> in a deeper way.
> What could we cover if we did a workshop?
> What about all of us making a concerted effort to talk to our dudes about
> a goal of trying to talk for at least 15 mins after the teaching? Might be
> good to remind them of the purpose of why we meet. Not just for fun but to
> serve God.
> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Mike Sanda <msanda21@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think alot of it stems from the boys not knowing how to relate in a
>> deep way because of like you said video games and what not.. I don't think
>> that this means it can't change but i think a work shop or maybe making it
>> a goal to lead by example after meetings. But i do think that with this age
>> group boys tend to not relate to each other as deeply as the girls.
>> I think the encouragement circle was great though that i think that it
>> did show that they are able to talk to one another in a deep serious way. I
>> think thats exciting to know our boys can do it they just need to be
>> challenged and refined in the art.. I personally have done a shitty job
>> challenging my boys to talk to people about this.
>> Thanks for bringing it up though!
>> Maybe doing more small discussion groups after cell to spur convo?
>> Thoughts?
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com>wrote:
>>> That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to
>>> just having superficial conversations about video games or what they did
>>> over the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know
>>> how to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'
>>> What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry
>>> change?
>>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nikki Lorenz <nikkilorenz@yahoo.com>wrote:
>>>> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
>>>> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
>>>> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
>>>> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
>>>> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
>>>>
>>>> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to
>>>> sit down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too.
>>>> What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
>>>> conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
>>>> tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
>>>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> Hey Guys,
>>>>
>>>> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next
>>>> meeting
>>>> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
>>>> and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
>>>> passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
>>>> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
>>>> teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
>>>> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
>>>> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
>>>> this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
>>>> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
>>>> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
>>>> Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Scott Arter
2012-01-06 @ 17:34
I agree with you about not having a special meeting.

We should push this point in our discipleship times and model it as Zack
was saying. It would definitely help during the teaching to brainstorm
questions you can ask of the students around you to engage them in
conversation right after the teaching.

Lets see how this works. I'm excited to see this aspect of our group
improve.

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Zachary Van Meter <incohear@gmail.com>wrote:

> The drop in excitement is typical around this time of year. Perhaps part
> of the issue when it comes to evangelism specifically is the fact that our
> people haven't seen any of the people we've been praying for recently
> either accept Christ or commit to group. Maybe the lack of excitement is
> tied to a lack of confidence and loss of hope. I've gotten that since
> during prayer meetings a couple times, but that could be just me.
> I don't really like the idea of doing a workshop on having 'real talk'...
> It seems like it would end up being either cheesy or patronizing to have a
> group meeting on how to have a deep conversation/ask questions or whatever.
> I think doing the encouragement circle after cell was sweet, and
> historically doing stuff like that has always been a success. I think
> trying to incorporate breaking into small groups after cell to talk/pray
> would be a good way to facilitate change here. Also we should be hitting on
> this in discipleship time, as well as trying to model it ourselves after
> the meeting. I like Scott's idea about the 15 minutes.
> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>> That's a good point about the encouragement circle. That gives me hope
>> that they CAN actually encourage each other and be involved with each other
>> in a deeper way.
>> What could we cover if we did a workshop?
>> What about all of us making a concerted effort to talk to our dudes about
>> a goal of trying to talk for at least 15 mins after the teaching? Might be
>> good to remind them of the purpose of why we meet. Not just for fun but to
>> serve God.
>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Mike Sanda <msanda21@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I think alot of it stems from the boys not knowing how to relate in a
>>> deep way because of like you said video games and what not.. I don't think
>>> that this means it can't change but i think a work shop or maybe making it
>>> a goal to lead by example after meetings. But i do think that with this age
>>> group boys tend to not relate to each other as deeply as the girls.
>>> I think the encouragement circle was great though that i think that it
>>> did show that they are able to talk to one another in a deep serious way. I
>>> think thats exciting to know our boys can do it they just need to be
>>> challenged and refined in the art.. I personally have done a shitty job
>>> challenging my boys to talk to people about this.
>>> Thanks for bringing it up though!
>>> Maybe doing more small discussion groups after cell to spur convo?
>>> Thoughts?
>>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>> That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to
>>>> just having superficial conversations about video games or what they did
>>>> over the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know
>>>> how to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'
>>>>
>>>> What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry
>>>> change?
>>>>
>>>>> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
>>>>> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
>>>>> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
>>>>> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
>>>>> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
>>>>>
>>>>> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely to
>>>>> sit down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that too.
>>>>> What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and real
>>>>> conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and have
>>>>> tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
>>>>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>> Hey Guys,
>>>>>
>>>>> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next
>>>>> meeting
>>>>> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in the
>>>>> level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still coming
>>>>> and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement or
>>>>> passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
>>>>> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after the
>>>>> teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
>>>>> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
>>>>> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
>>>>> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
>>>>> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
>>>>> Scott

Re: [brooklyn] Ethos of HC

Aaron Mallott
2012-01-08 @ 19:28
I think another key factor is distractions.  Times when we eliminate the
distractions of sniper, ping pong, etc., conversations tends to improve
dramatically.  I've seen this when we go places after HC to eat, like
Wendy's, Fizoli's, etc.  People are confined to small groups, typically
with a leader at their table, and good conversation is formed.  Maybe this
could become a more regular thing.  Or maybe we could find some other way
to get rid of the things that are just a lot easier and more comfortable to
do after meetings.  I think that once people get in the habit of talking
after meetings and see how enjoyable it is, it will be easier to continue
on that routine.

Aaron

On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 12:34 PM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:

> I agree with you about not having a special meeting.
> We should push this point in our discipleship times and model it as Zack
> was saying. It would definitely help during the teaching to brainstorm
> questions you can ask of the students around you to engage them in
> conversation right after the teaching.
> Lets see how this works. I'm excited to see this aspect of our group
> improve.
> On Fri, Jan 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM, Zachary Van Meter <incohear@gmail.com>wrote:
>> The drop in excitement is typical around this time of year. Perhaps part
>> of the issue when it comes to evangelism specifically is the fact that our
>> people haven't seen any of the people we've been praying for recently
>> either accept Christ or commit to group. Maybe the lack of excitement is
>> tied to a lack of confidence and loss of hope. I've gotten that since
>> during prayer meetings a couple times, but that could be just me.
>> I don't really like the idea of doing a workshop on having 'real talk'...
>> It seems like it would end up being either cheesy or patronizing to have a
>> group meeting on how to have a deep conversation/ask questions or whatever.
>> I think doing the encouragement circle after cell was sweet, and
>> historically doing stuff like that has always been a success. I think
>> trying to incorporate breaking into small groups after cell to talk/pray
>> would be a good way to facilitate change here. Also we should be hitting on
>> this in discipleship time, as well as trying to model it ourselves after
>> the meeting. I like Scott's idea about the 15 minutes.
>> On Thu, Jan 5, 2012 at 4:40 PM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> That's a good point about the encouragement circle. That gives me hope
>>> that they CAN actually encourage each other and be involved with each other
>>> in a deeper way.
>>> What could we cover if we did a workshop?
>>> What about all of us making a concerted effort to talk to our dudes
>>> about a goal of trying to talk for at least 15 mins after the teaching?
>>> Might be good to remind them of the purpose of why we meet. Not just for
>>> fun but to serve God.
>>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 3:03 PM, Mike Sanda <msanda21@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>> I think alot of it stems from the boys not knowing how to relate in a
>>>> deep way because of like you said video games and what not.. I don't think
>>>> that this means it can't change but i think a work shop or maybe making it
>>>> a goal to lead by example after meetings. But i do think that with this age
>>>> group boys tend to not relate to each other as deeply as the girls.
>>>>
>>>> I think the encouragement circle was great though that i think that it
>>>> did show that they are able to talk to one another in a deep serious way. I
>>>> think thats exciting to know our boys can do it they just need to be
>>>> challenged and refined in the art.. I personally have done a shitty job
>>>> challenging my boys to talk to people about this.
>>>>
>>>> Thanks for bringing it up though!
>>>>
>>>> Maybe doing more small discussion groups after cell to spur convo?
>>>> Thoughts?
>>>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:40 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com>wrote:
>>>>
>>>>> That could be a good idea. I wonder if people (esp. guys) are used to
>>>>> just having superficial conversations about video games or what they did
>>>>> over the weekend or some stupid youtube video they watched, and don't know
>>>>> how to bring up anything serious besides by asking 'how are you doing'
>>>>>
>>>>> What do you other guys think about the excitement/focus on ministry
>>>>> change?
>>>>>
>>>>> On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 10:33 AM, Nikki Lorenz <nikkilorenz@yahoo.com>wrote:
>>>>>
>>>>>> I agree with the level of excitement about evangelism going down. I
>>>>>> noticed that at prayer last week. I don't    know if people were just
>>>>>> thrown off because it was break, but we didn't have as many people on the
>>>>>> prayer list as usual and people didn't seem to have as many potential
>>>>>> people that the students were excited about reaching out to.
>>>>>>
>>>>>> With the after meeting ethos, I do think that girls are more likely
>>>>>> to sit down and talk by nature, but that doesn't mean boys can't do that
>>>>>> too. What if we did a workshop or something on like how to have deep and
>>>>>> real conversations with one another and stressed the importance of it, and
>>>>>> have tips for how to actually have a spiritual conversation, etc?
>>>>>>
>>>>>> On Jan 3, 2012, at 9:39 AM, Scott Arter <scottarter@gmail.com> wrote:
>>>>>>
>>>>>> Hey Guys,
>>>>>>
>>>>>> **I wanted to discuss a couple things over email before our next
>>>>>> meeting
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 1. I was wondering if any of the rest of you have felt a change in
>>>>>> the level of excitement in our group? It seems like new people are still
>>>>>> coming and people are talking about evangelism but there's less excitement
>>>>>> or passion for it. Let me know if i'm just being negative here
>>>>>>
>>>>>> 2. The guys have been talking about how to improve our ethos after
>>>>>> the teaching. We'd like to be getting into more spiritual conversations and
>>>>>> teaching the guys to sit down and talk for a few minutes before running
>>>>>> around and being crazy. I always notice the girls are really good about
>>>>>> this (esp. after cell but even after HC). Do you guys have any tips for us
>>>>>> about this? Are the girls just naturally into this or have you done
>>>>>> specific things to 'set the tone' at the meetings?
>>>>>>