librelist archives

« back to archive

package installation..

package installation..

From:
Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
Date:
2014-02-03 @ 08:24
Just a quick note to say that I had a lot of trouble installing/building
packages using cabal-install because of conflicts with the packages
installed by the OS packaging system. I think at this point, I wouldn't
recommend doing a $your-favourite-pkg-tool install
haskell-platform. Instead just install only GHC and cabal-install and
get the rest via cabal-install.

Ramakrishnan

Re: [bangalorehaskell] package installation..

From:
Ashok Gautham
Date:
2014-02-03 @ 08:30
---- On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 08:24:48 +0000 Ramakrishnan 
Muthukrishnan<ram@rkrishnan.org> wrote ---- 

 > Just a quick note to say that I had a lot of trouble installing/building 
 > packages using cabal-install because of conflicts with the packages 
 > installed by the OS packaging system. I think at this point, I wouldn't 
 > recommend doing a $your-favourite-pkg-tool install 
 > haskell-platform. Instead just install only GHC and cabal-install and 
 > get the rest via cabal-install. 

I am yet to use Cabal Sandboxes[1], but it seems interesting. 

I have had similar issues with Python and Ruby and using virtualenv/rvm 
respectively were an ideal solution.

[1] http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html

Re: [bangalorehaskell] package installation..

From:
Tom Elam
Date:
2014-02-03 @ 09:55
For Ruby/Rails development RVM/chruby/Rbenv is absolutely necessary. 
Similar story with every Common Lisp. And never use the OS's packages for 
serious work.

Ashok, are you working for Zoho?

On 03-Feb-2014, at 2:00 PM, Ashok Gautham <scriptdevil@zoho.com> wrote:

> 
> ---- On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 08:24:48 +0000 Ramakrishnan 
Muthukrishnan<ram@rkrishnan.org> wrote ---- 
> 
>> Just a quick note to say that I had a lot of trouble installing/building 
>> packages using cabal-install because of conflicts with the packages 
>> installed by the OS packaging system. I think at this point, I wouldn't 
>> recommend doing a $your-favourite-pkg-tool install 
>> haskell-platform. Instead just install only GHC and cabal-install and 
>> get the rest via cabal-install.
> 
> I am yet to use Cabal Sandboxes[1], but it seems interesting. 
> 
> I have had similar issues with Python and Ruby and using virtualenv/rvm 
> respectively were an ideal solution.
> 
> [1] http://coldwa.st/e/blog/2013-08-20-Cabal-sandbox.html
> 

Re: [bangalorehaskell] package installation..

From:
Ashok Gautham
Date:
2014-02-03 @ 10:36
---- On Mon, 03 Feb 2014 09:55:08 +0000 Tom Elam  wrote ---- 

>For Ruby/Rails development RVM/chruby/Rbenv is absolutely necessary. 
Similar story with every Common Lisp. And never use the OS's packages for 
serious work. 
> 
>Ashok, are you working for Zoho? 

Nope. I work at IBM Research. 

I use Zoho mail because

1. I dislike the G+-creep into all of Google's services
2. I am shaken by Google's involvement in the NSA scandal
3. (Quite questionably) I believe spreading my data across multiple 
providers reduces the amount of information they can gather about you.

---
Ashok