librelist archives

« back to archive

Haskell: getting started

Haskell: getting started

From:
Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
Date:
2014-01-11 @ 10:08
Hi,

There is this great blog post on getting started by Bob Ippolito.
Certain things may have changed a bit. But this is an excellent place
to start setting up your environment (which is very easy -- on
Debian/Ubuntu, `apt-get install haskell-platform' gets everything you
need. Same with OSX, you can use `brew install haskell-platform'.

<http://bob.ippoli.to/archives/2013/01/11/getting-started-with-haskell/>

-- 
  Ramakrishnan

Re: [bangalorehaskell] Haskell: getting started

From:
Shantanu Kumar
Date:
2014-01-11 @ 10:57
I am on Ubuntu 13.04, which has a weird problem related to installing
haskell-platform:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04

However, I have ghc installed and can install `cabal-install` via apt-get.
What will I miss if I do not install haskell-platform?

Shantanu

On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 3:38 PM, Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan <
vu3rdd@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is this great blog post on getting started by Bob Ippolito.
> Certain things may have changed a bit. But this is an excellent place
> to start setting up your environment (which is very easy -- on
> Debian/Ubuntu, `apt-get install haskell-platform' gets everything you
> need. Same with OSX, you can use `brew install haskell-platform'.
>
> <http://bob.ippoli.to/archives/2013/01/11/getting-started-with-haskell/>
>
> --
>   Ramakrishnan
>

Re: [bangalorehaskell] Haskell: getting started

From:
Pradip Caulagi
Date:
2014-01-11 @ 11:10
On Saturday 11 January 2014 04:27 PM, Shantanu Kumar wrote:
> I am on Ubuntu 13.04, which has a weird problem related to installing
> haskell-platform:
> 
http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04

Ah, ok.  I was thinking it was specific to what I had.
>
> However, I have ghc installed and can install `cabal-install` via
> apt-get. What will I miss if I do not install haskell-platform?

My newbie impression is not to worry.  Cabal and ghc are all that are 
required for Haskell programs (the first few, at least).  Ghc for making 
programs work and cabal for managing 'packages/libraries'.

haskell-platform seems to be a collection [1] of -

* GHC, Haskell's flag-ship compiler
* The GHC-Profiler
* GHCi, GHCs bytecode-interpreter
* The GHCi-Debugger [5]
* Alex, a lexer generator, similar to Lex
* Happy, a parser generator, similar to Yacc
* Cabal, a package-manager
* Haddock, a documentation tool
* hsc2hs, a preprocessor for binding Haskell to C code, allowing C 
libraries to be used from Haskell various libraries, such as zlib, cgi 
and OpenGL

[1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_Platform

--
Pradip P Caulagi
http://caulagi.com

Re: [bangalorehaskell] Haskell: getting started

From:
Shantanu Kumar
Date:
2014-01-11 @ 11:37
OK, I installed some of those components on Ubuntu 13.04 as follows:

sudo apt-get install cabal-install
sudo apt-get install alex
sudo apt-get install happy

cabal install pandoc

Shantanu


On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Pradip Caulagi <caulagi@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Saturday 11 January 2014 04:27 PM, Shantanu Kumar wrote:
> > I am on Ubuntu 13.04, which has a weird problem related to installing
> > haskell-platform:
> >
> 
http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04
>
> Ah, ok.  I was thinking it was specific to what I had.
> >
> > However, I have ghc installed and can install `cabal-install` via
> > apt-get. What will I miss if I do not install haskell-platform?
>
> My newbie impression is not to worry.  Cabal and ghc are all that are
> required for Haskell programs (the first few, at least).  Ghc for making
> programs work and cabal for managing 'packages/libraries'.
>
> haskell-platform seems to be a collection [1] of -
>
> * GHC, Haskell's flag-ship compiler
> * The GHC-Profiler
> * GHCi, GHCs bytecode-interpreter
> * The GHCi-Debugger [5]
> * Alex, a lexer generator, similar to Lex
> * Happy, a parser generator, similar to Yacc
> * Cabal, a package-manager
> * Haddock, a documentation tool
> * hsc2hs, a preprocessor for binding Haskell to C code, allowing C
> libraries to be used from Haskell various libraries, such as zlib, cgi
> and OpenGL
>
> [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_Platform
>
> --
> Pradip P Caulagi
> http://caulagi.com
>



-- 
Shantanu Kumar || kumar.shantanu(at)gmail <http://gmail.com> ||
http://twitter.com/kumarshantanu || Skype: shantanu_k06 || +91 99728 69200
(Bangalore)

Re: [bangalorehaskell] Haskell: getting started

From:
Ramakrishnan Muthukrishnan
Date:
2014-01-11 @ 13:54
Yes, that should be more than enough.

If you are using emacs, be sure to install haskell-mode and ghc-mod
package and perhaps hlint. Also as you progress, start using Hoogle,
which is fantastic (given a type signature, Hoogle finds all functions
that satisfies that type signature).

Also compiling native binary is very easy. ghc --make foo.hs -o foo
(if foo.hs has the Main module) will produce a binary.

I haven't used other editors with GHCi.


On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 5:07 PM, Shantanu Kumar
<kumar.shantanu@gmail.com> wrote:
> OK, I installed some of those components on Ubuntu 13.04 as follows:
>
> sudo apt-get install cabal-install
> sudo apt-get install alex
> sudo apt-get install happy
>
> cabal install pandoc
>
> Shantanu
>
>
> On Sat, Jan 11, 2014 at 4:40 PM, Pradip Caulagi <caulagi@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Saturday 11 January 2014 04:27 PM, Shantanu Kumar wrote:
>> > I am on Ubuntu 13.04, which has a weird problem related to installing
>> > haskell-platform:
>> >
>> > 
http://askubuntu.com/questions/286764/how-to-install-haskell-platform-for-ubuntu-13-04
>>
>> Ah, ok.  I was thinking it was specific to what I had.
>> >
>> > However, I have ghc installed and can install `cabal-install` via
>> > apt-get. What will I miss if I do not install haskell-platform?
>>
>> My newbie impression is not to worry.  Cabal and ghc are all that are
>> required for Haskell programs (the first few, at least).  Ghc for making
>> programs work and cabal for managing 'packages/libraries'.
>>
>> haskell-platform seems to be a collection [1] of -
>>
>> * GHC, Haskell's flag-ship compiler
>> * The GHC-Profiler
>> * GHCi, GHCs bytecode-interpreter
>> * The GHCi-Debugger [5]
>> * Alex, a lexer generator, similar to Lex
>> * Happy, a parser generator, similar to Yacc
>> * Cabal, a package-manager
>> * Haddock, a documentation tool
>> * hsc2hs, a preprocessor for binding Haskell to C code, allowing C
>> libraries to be used from Haskell various libraries, such as zlib, cgi
>> and OpenGL
>>
>> [1] - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haskell_Platform
>>
>> --
>> Pradip P Caulagi
>> http://caulagi.com
>
>
>
>
> --
> Shantanu Kumar || kumar.shantanu(at)gmail ||
> http://twitter.com/kumarshantanu || Skype: shantanu_k06 || +91 99728 69200
> (Bangalore)



-- 
  Ramakrishnan