librelist archives

« back to archive

Install problems

Install problems

From:
James Holland
Date:
2014-07-01 @ 15:16
I'm trying to install Attic as described at 
https://attic-backup.org/installation.html

1) pip install Attic

Attic requires Python 3.2 or later

2) Installing from source tarballs

attic/crypto.c:8:22: fatal error: pyconfig.h: No such file or directory

3) Installing from git

attic/platform_linux.c:350:21: fatal error: sys/acl.h: No such file or 
directory

4) Packages

Installs onto Ubuntu 14.04 but produces error on running:

ImportError: No module named 'attic.chunker'

5) Standalone binaries

This works well when creating archives but when I try to extract them it 
says:

NotImplementedError: utime: follow_symlinks unavailable on this platform

Re: [attic] Install problems

From:
James Holland
Date:
2014-07-01 @ 17:31
On 01/07/14 16:16, James Holland wrote:
> I'm trying to install Attic as described at
> https://attic-backup.org/installation.html
>
> 1) pip install Attic
>
> Attic requires Python 3.2 or later
>
> 2) Installing from source tarballs
>
> attic/crypto.c:8:22: fatal error: pyconfig.h: No such file or directory
>
> 3) Installing from git
>
> attic/platform_linux.c:350:21: fatal error: sys/acl.h: No such file or
> directory
>
> 4) Packages
>
> Installs onto Ubuntu 14.04 but produces error on running:
>
> ImportError: No module named 'attic.chunker'

This, however, works under Debian 7 Testing. So I'm currently extracting 
my backup.

>
> 5) Standalone binaries
>
> This works well when creating archives but when I try to extract them it
> says:
>
> NotImplementedError: utime: follow_symlinks unavailable on this platform
>

Re: [attic] Install problems

From:
Jonas Borgström
Date:
2014-07-01 @ 19:58
On 2014-07-01 19:31, James Holland wrote:
> On 01/07/14 16:16, James Holland wrote:
>> I'm trying to install Attic as described at
>> https://attic-backup.org/installation.html
>>
>> 1) pip install Attic
>>
>> Attic requires Python 3.2 or later
>>
>> 2) Installing from source tarballs
>>
>> attic/crypto.c:8:22: fatal error: pyconfig.h: No such file or directory
>>
>> 3) Installing from git
>>
>> attic/platform_linux.c:350:21: fatal error: sys/acl.h: No such file or
>> directory

You need to install the python development headers. Linux systems also
need the libacl development headers. I really should make this more
clear in the documentation...

On ubuntu/debian:
apt-get install python3-dev libacl1-dev

>> 4) Packages
>>
>> Installs onto Ubuntu 14.04 but produces error on running:
>>
>> ImportError: No module named 'attic.chunker'

Weird, did you get any error messages during the install?

> This, however, works under Debian 7 Testing. So I'm currently extracting 
> my backup.
> 
>>
>> 5) Standalone binaries
>>
>> This works well when creating archives but when I try to extract them it
>> says:
>>
>> NotImplementedError: utime: follow_symlinks unavailable on this platform

Oh, it looks like Attic didn't like the combination of really old
libc(centos 5) and new python (3.4).

Anyway, I've pushed a workaround for this and also uploaded a new set of
binaries. Thanks for your report.

/ Jonas

Re: [attic] Install problems

From:
Dan Christensen
Date:
2014-07-01 @ 20:11
Jonas Borgström <jonas@borgstrom.se> writes:

> On 2014-07-01 19:31, James Holland wrote:
>> On 01/07/14 16:16, James Holland wrote:
>>> I'm trying to install Attic as described at
>>> https://attic-backup.org/installation.html
>>>
>>> 1) pip install Attic
...
>>> 2) Installing from source tarballs
...
>>> 3) Installing from git
...
>>> 4) Packages
>>>
>>> Installs onto Ubuntu 14.04 but produces error on running:
>>>
>>> ImportError: No module named 'attic.chunker'
>
> Weird, did you get any error messages during the install?

I wonder if the previous failed installs were causing some conflicts?

Dan