Rightmost column not working

Rightmost column not working

Eduardo Dominguez
2015-07-20 @ 20:06
Hello All,

I just finished soldering and found out that the rightmost column is not
working. Someone in the archives went thru the same thing but he didnt
reply with his resolution.

I just checked and there is continiuty from the 4th pin the chip to the
leg of the keycap.

So, it seems to me that the issue is soldering on the microcontroller.

I have a couple of questions:

1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro, right?

2. Why isnt there a hole in the switch plate so that the micro is exposed?

3. The holes in the switch plate are of such a size to hold the switch
plate in place, but you can't take out the switch plate without removing
all the keys. Is there a reason for this? Cant some spacers achieve the
same thing? just curious

Thanks a lot :)

Eduardo

Re: [atreus] Rightmost column not working

Phil Hagelberg
2015-07-21 @ 02:45
Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
> that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro,
> right?

Yeah, unfortunately this is a pretty involved process. In newer
versions of the assembly instructions I started to recommend testing the
switches gradually as they are inserted; that way if you detect a
problem you only have to remove a handful of switches. Unfortunately I
think your kit may have been from before I added that tip.

One thing that sometimes works is to reflow the solder on the exposed
side, sometimes you can get some of the solder to drip down to the other
side that's inaccessible. Or sometimes the heat from reflowing the one
side of the diode leg is enough to melt it on the other side. But the
advice from Joe in his message may be worth trying too.

> 2. Why isnt there a hole in the switch plate so that the micro is
> exposed?

This is done in order to maximize the strength of the case; I didn't
want to put more holes in it than are necessary.

> 3. The holes in the switch p late are of such a size to hold the
> switch plate in place, but you can't take out the switch plate without
> removing all the keys. Is there a reason for this? Cant some spacers
> achieve the same thing? just curious

Again this is done for structural reasons. While it is possible to have
the force of the keystrokes be absorbed by the circuit board, having the
switches mounted to the switch plate results in a much sturdier overall
design, even if it is a bit less flexible in terms of opening it up.

Hope you're able to get this sorted out. Let me know if you need any
further guidance.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Rightmost column not working

Eduardo Dominguez
2015-07-21 @ 03:00
On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:

> Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> writes:
> > 1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
> > that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro,
> > right?

As Shnobock recommended, I ended up cutting a whole above the
microcontroller, this gave me enough access to fix it. I ended up soldering
a cable. The hole saved the day.

In hindsight, I should have tested the continuity of the diode legs with
the micro.

Thanks a lot for your help and your answers :)

Eduardo

Re: [atreus] Rightmost column not working

Andrew Griffith
2015-07-21 @ 04:01
I actually had to remove all 42 switches as I didn't follow the
instructions as well as I should have.  I ended up using the solder
extractor I got from Adafruit as part of their basic soldering kit.  It
only took me about 10 minuets to desolder all of them.  Anyway, I thought I
would share the kit I used.  If you have the right tools it isn't as bad as
you would think.

On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:
>> Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> writes:
>> > 1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
>> > that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro,
>> > right?
> As Shnobock recommended, I ended up cutting a whole above the
> microcontroller, this gave me enough access to fix it. I ended up soldering
> a cable. The hole saved the day.
> In hindsight, I should have tested the continuity of the diode legs with
> the micro.
> Thanks a lot for your help and your answers :)
> Eduardo

Re: [atreus] Rightmost column not working

Joe Fiorini
2015-07-21 @ 16:35
I did same thing not too long ago (desoldering all the switches) along
with desoldering the controller. Took me a little longer because I had a
bad soldering iron (since replaced). I couldn't imagine having done that
without my desoldering pump and wick!

Joe Fiorini

On Tue, Jul 21, 2015, at 12:01 AM, Andrew Griffith wrote:
> I actually had to remove all 42 switches as I didn't follow the
instructions as well as I should have.  I ended up using the solder
extractor I got from Adafruit as part of their basic soldering kit.  It
only took me about 10 minuets to desolder all of them.  Anyway, I thought
I would share the kit I used.  If you have the right tools it isn't as bad
as you would think.
> http://www.adafruit.com/products/136
> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 8:00 PM, Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Mon, Jul 20, 2015 at 9:45 PM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:
>>> Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> writes:
> 1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
> that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro,
> right?
>> As Shnobock recommended, I ended up cutting a whole above the
microcontroller, this gave me enough access to fix it. I ended up
soldering a cable. The hole saved the day.
>> In hindsight, I should have tested the continuity of the diode legs
with the micro.
>> Thanks a lot for your help and your answers :)
>> --
>> Eduardo

Re: [atreus] Rightmost column not working

Joe Schonbok
2015-07-20 @ 20:33
Eduardo, if reflowing the solder on the board-side doesn't work, you may
very well need to access the controller side.

When I was putting mine together I discovered that I had a bad controller.
Like you I had soldered in all the switches and I really didn't want to
desolder them all.  So what I did was to create my own hole.  Put the top
layer of the case on, trace the little tongue between the sets of keys onto
the key plate.  The controller is right under that.  With a nice sharp
knife you can cut a mm or two inside of that line and pop out a little hole
to access the controller card directly.  Use a ruler and make yourself some
guidelines!  Make sure to stay inside the outline of the tongue so that the
hole won't show after final assembly.  You will want to be very careful
going this route - you don't want to scrape your knife against the
controller or board underneath.  Just go nice and easy.  I'm fairly handy
with a whittling knife and clumsy with soldering, so that seemed like the
easier path for me.

Anyway I was able to replace my entire controller that way.  You might be
able to do a more targeted incision to just access the pin you need to.

Joe

On Mon, 20 Jul 2015 at 13:06 Eduardo Dominguez <eduardodmz@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello All,
>  I just finished soldering and found out that the rightmost column is not
> working. Someone in the archives went thru the same thing but he didnt
> reply with his resolution.
>  I just checked and there is continiuty from the 4th pin the chip to the
> leg of the keycap.
>  So, it seems to me that the issue is soldering on the microcontroller.
>  I have a couple of questions:
>  1. As far as I can tell, my only option is to desolder all the keys so
> that I can remove the switch plate and have access to the micro, right?
>  2. Why isnt there a hole in the switch plate so that the micro is exposed?
>  3. The holes in the switch p late are of such a size to hold the switch
> plate in place, but you can't take out the switch plate without removing
> all the keys. Is there a reason for this? Cant some spacers achieve the
> same thing? just curious
> Thanks a lot :)