librelist archives

« back to archive

Dumb noob questions

Dumb noob questions

From:
Bj Clark
Date:
2015-04-03 @ 23:04
I’ve finished my build of the atreus and I’m trying to learn to use it. 
I’ve read the FAQ but I still have some very basic questions:

1. On OS X qwerty, what key is the command key?
2. To select all text to the left of the cursor, you usually do 
command-shift-left arrow. How is that done on the atreus?
3. I’m a visual person, is there an app or some way I can see what state 
the keyboard is currently in? How do I get back to a known state?

Thanks,

--
BJ Clark
<https://www.goldstar.com>
https://www.goldstar.com/

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Aj Christensen
Date:
2015-04-03 @ 23:15
Yo,

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 12:04 PM, BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> wrote:
> I’ve finished my build of the atreus and I’m trying to learn to use it. I’ve
> read the FAQ but I still have some very basic questions:
>
> 1. On OS X qwerty, what key is the command key?

Super, I would imagine. 3rd from bottom left on any layer.

> 2. To select all text to the left of the cursor, you usually do
> command-shift-left arrow. How is that done on the atreus?

With Emacs keybindings in a text dialog on OSX, you ought to be able
to: invoke transient mark mode (C-space or C-@) press C-a for
start-of-line.

> 3. I’m a visual person, is there an app or some way I can see what state the
> keyboard is currently in? How do I get back to a known state?

This will become less important as you get used to it. I'd just
recommend spamming the fn/fn/L0 key if you have momentary loss of
orientation to reset to L0.

You can only really activate L2 with the FN+L2 key toggle on L1, so it
is a distinct movement. I'd probably recommend trying to use L2 as
little as possible: prefer the Emacs (or similarly, Vi readline)
bindings for cursor navigation, as well as rebinding functions usually
on the f-key row to chord or combinations on lower layers.

cheers,

--aj

>
> Thanks,
>
> --
> BJ Clark
> https://www.goldstar.com/

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-04-04 @ 01:34
BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> writes:

> 1. On OS X qwerty, what key is the command key?

I've added this to the FAQ; thanks.

> 3. I’m a visual person, is there an app or some way I can see what state
the keyboard is currently in? How do I get back to a known state?

As AJ said, the easiest way to do this is to press and release fn; then
you know it's in layer zero.

However, you can avoid modality entirely using "momentary L2", which is
a new feature of the alternative TMK firmware. Using this, you can hold
down fn+shift to get to L2, and it goes back to L0 when you release,
instead of switching modes and having to switch back out.

  http://librelist.com/browser//atreus/2015/3/17/tmk-firmware/

Unfortunately this isn't the default yet because I'm still working out a
bug. If you hit fn+shift and release shift first, it goes back to L0,
but if you release fn first it stays in L2 till you tap fn.

Hope that helps.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Bj Clark
Date:
2015-04-05 @ 21:12
Great, thanks for the info AJ and Phil.

The one thing I’m still stuck on is the text selection issue.  AJ 
suggests, if I understand correctly, to switch to emacs bindings system 
wide, which tbh, I’m not that against, but unfortunately I spend a lot of 
my day in design programs like Sketch and Photoshop and switching those to
different key bindings is less easy.

Anyone else have suggestions on how to accomplish the same task? It seems 
like switching to tmk firmware gets you half way there but you can’t use 
shift because you’re already holding it down to access L2. Correct?

(typed from my atreus :)

--
BJ Clark
<https://www.goldstar.com>
https://www.goldstar.com/


On April 3, 2015 at 6:35:46 PM, Phil Hagelberg 
(phil@hagelb.org<mailto:phil@hagelb.org>) wrote:

BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> writes:

> 1. On OS X qwerty, what key is the command key?

I've added this to the FAQ; thanks.

> 3. I’m a visual person, is there an app or some way I can see what state
the keyboard is currently in? How do I get back to a known state?

As AJ said, the easiest way to do this is to press and release fn; then
you know it's in layer zero.

However, you can avoid modality entirely using "momentary L2", which is
a new feature of the alternative TMK firmware. Using this, you can hold
down fn+shift to get to L2, and it goes back to L0 when you release,
instead of switching modes and having to switch back out.

http://librelist.com/browser//atreus/2015/3/17/tmk-firmware/

Unfortunately this isn't the default yet because I'm still working out a
bug. If you hit fn+shift and release shift first, it goes back to L0,
but if you release fn first it stays in L2 till you tap fn.

Hope that helps.

-Phil
________________________________

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-04-06 @ 00:57
BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> writes:

> Anyone else have suggestions on how to accomplish the same task? It
> seems like switching to tmk firmware gets you half way there but you
> can’t use shift because you’re already holding it down to access
> L2. Correct?

Actually on the momentary-L2 layout I did place an additional shift
where tab normally is. It would require a bit of finger gymnastics to
hit all three vs just the Emacs bindings, but it's a start.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-04-06 @ 02:41
Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> writes:

> Actually on the momentary-L2 layout I did place an additional shift
> where tab normally is. It would require a bit of finger gymnastics to
> hit all three vs just the Emacs bindings, but it's a start.

I also want to emphasize that the layouts I've created are not
considered final or even canonical--think of them more as a starting
point for your own layouts.

If you use mostly Emacs like me, then you might not need to make many
modifications, but I'd encourage you to continue thinking of ways to
adapt it to better support your own work as you proceed.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Dumb noob questions

From:
Aj Christensen
Date:
2015-04-05 @ 21:18
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/documentation/Cocoa/Conceptual/EventOverview/TextDefaultsBindings/TextDefaultsBindings.html
This could be helpful too.

I meant to say that OSX (by default) has a number of Emacs-like
bindings, some of which may be suitable for this. I don't have a
machine handy to check ;(

cheers,

--aj

On Mon, Apr 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM, BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> wrote:
> Great, thanks for the info AJ and Phil.
>
> The one thing I’m still stuck on is the text selection issue.  AJ suggests,
> if I understand correctly, to switch to emacs bindings system wide, which
> tbh, I’m not that against, but unfortunately I spend a lot of my day in
> design programs like Sketch and Photoshop and switching those to different
> key bindings is less easy.
>
> Anyone else have suggestions on how to accomplish the same task? It seems
> like switching to tmk firmware gets you half way there but you can’t use
> shift because you’re already holding it down to access L2. Correct?
>
> (typed from my atreus :)
>
> --
> BJ Clark
> https://www.goldstar.com/
>
> On April 3, 2015 at 6:35:46 PM, Phil Hagelberg (phil@hagelb.org) wrote:
>
> BJ Clark <bjclark@goldstar.com> writes:
>
>> 1. On OS X qwerty, what key is the command key?
>
> I've added this to the FAQ; thanks.
>
>> 3. I’m a visual person, is there an app or some way I can see what state
>> the keyboard is currently in? How do I get back to a known state?
>
> As AJ said, the easiest way to do this is to press and release fn; then
> you know it's in layer zero.
>
> However, you can avoid modality entirely using "momentary L2", which is
> a new feature of the alternative TMK firmware. Using this, you can hold
> down fn+shift to get to L2, and it goes back to L0 when you release,
> instead of switching modes and having to switch back out.
>
> http://librelist.com/browser//atreus/2015/3/17/tmk-firmware/
>
> Unfortunately this isn't the default yet because I'm still working out a
> bug. If you hit fn+shift and release shift first, it goes back to L0,
> but if you release fn first it stays in L2 till you tap fn.
>
> Hope that helps.
>
> -Phil
> ________________________________