librelist archives

« back to archive

Where do people map the missing keys

Where do people map the missing keys

From:
David Calavera
Date:
2015-03-15 @ 22:28
Hi everybody!

I just started to test my new Atreus and I'm very happy with it, but I
still need to map a few keys missing in the default querty layout. I was
wondering where people put those keys, specially colon, double quotes and
question mark and I thought it could be a good idea to learn from others
that have been using the keyboard longer.

It would be great if people could share their layouts for newbies like me
that are still trying to figure out how to configure the keyboard.

Thanks!
David

Re: [atreus] Where do people map the missing keys

From:
Tom Short
Date:
2015-03-15 @ 23:15
From the main layer, shift should give you all of those. The shifted
versions are the same as a standard keyboard (I think):

;  =>  :
'  =>  "
/  =>  ?
,  =>  <
.  =>  >
-  =>  _

I'm also looking forward to trying the tmk firmware. It allows dual-use
keys, where a key can be used as both a regular key and a modifier. With
that, more of the bottom keys could serve double duty as keys and
modifiers. I'll probably try using them for movement keys and not
punctuation, though.
On Mar 15, 2015 6:29 PM, "David Calavera" <david.calavera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I just started to test my new Atreus and I'm very happy with it, but I
> still need to map a few keys missing in the default querty layout. I was
> wondering where people put those keys, specially colon, double quotes and
> question mark and I thought it could be a good idea to learn from others
> that have been using the keyboard longer.
>
> It would be great if people could share their layouts for newbies like me
> that are still trying to figure out how to configure the keyboard.
>
> Thanks!
> David
>

Re: [atreus] Where do people map the missing keys

From:
Chris Osborne
Date:
2015-03-16 @ 00:05
I don't know whether you have found any examples using this, if you'd 
like one check out keymap_shane.c in the Planck area of the tmk repo. 
His SPACE_FN serves as a pretty decent example I've based a few things 
off (in particular getting a board to behave more ANSI-like without 
changing computer settings in the UK). Whether it is the best method I 
don't know, but it's worked well for me. The only issue I have had with 
using this method is that due to this button having to fire on key up 
(or timeout depending on configuration) there is not repeat. This 
doesn't bother me for things like punctuation, but it's just one to be 
aware of.

On 15/03/15 23:15, Tom Short wrote:
>
> From the main layer, shift should give you all of those. The shifted 
> versions are the same as a standard keyboard (I think):
>
> ;  =>  :
> '  =>  "
> /  =>  ?
> ,  =>  <
> .  =>  >
> -  =>  _
>
> I'm also looking forward to trying the tmk firmware. It allows 
> dual-use keys, where a key can be used as both a regular key and a 
> modifier. With that, more of the bottom keys could serve double duty 
> as keys and modifiers. I'll probably try using them for movement keys 
> and not punctuation, though.
>
> On Mar 15, 2015 6:29 PM, "David Calavera" <david.calavera@gmail.com 
> <mailto:david.calavera@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     Hi everybody!
>
>     I just started to test my new Atreus and I'm very happy with it,
>     but I still need to map a few keys missing in the default querty
>     layout. I was wondering where people put those keys, specially
>     colon, double quotes and question mark and I thought it could be a
>     good idea to learn from others that have been using the keyboard
>     longer.
>
>     It would be great if people could share their layouts for newbies
>     like me that are still trying to figure out how to configure the
>     keyboard.
>
>     Thanks!
>     David
>

Re: [atreus] Where do people map the missing keys

From:
David Calavera
Date:
2015-03-16 @ 00:22
Thanks for the replies, they're very useful. This is probably my unique
case, but this is what I'm thinking about:

- Swap colon and semicolon: I personally use colons way often than
semicolons, so I might make sense to stop hitting shift every time I want a
colon.
- Swap the key for quotes with the key for slash and question mark: same
here, I think I use quotes more often than question marks and slashes and I
feel like it's easier for me to reach the slash key than the quote key.


On Sun, Mar 15, 2015 at 5:05 PM, Chris Osborne <chris.osborne@gmx.com>
wrote:

>  I don't know whether you have found any examples using this, if you'd
> like one check out keymap_shane.c in the Planck area of the tmk repo. His
> SPACE_FN serves as a pretty decent example I've based a few things off (in
> particular getting a board to behave more ANSI-like without changing
> computer settings in the UK). Whether it is the best method I don't know,
> but it's worked well for me. The only issue I have had with using this
> method is that due to this button having to fire on key up (or timeout
> depending on configuration) there is not repeat. This doesn't bother me for
> things like punctuation, but it's just one to be aware of.
>
>
> On 15/03/15 23:15, Tom Short wrote:
>
> From the main layer, shift should give you all of those. The shifted
> versions are the same as a standard keyboard (I think):
>
> ;  =>  :
> '  =>  "
> /  =>  ?
> ,  =>  <
> .  =>  >
> -  =>  _
>
> I'm also looking forward to trying the tmk firmware. It allows dual-use
> keys, where a key can be used as both a regular key and a modifier. With
> that, more of the bottom keys could serve double duty as keys and
> modifiers. I'll probably try using them for movement keys and not
> punctuation, though.
> On Mar 15, 2015 6:29 PM, "David Calavera" <david.calavera@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi everybody!
>>
>>  I just started to test my new Atreus and I'm very happy with it, but I
>> still need to map a few keys missing in the default querty layout. I was
>> wondering where people put those keys, specially colon, double quotes and
>> question mark and I thought it could be a good idea to learn from others
>> that have been using the keyboard longer.
>>
>>  It would be great if people could share their layouts for newbies like
>> me that are still trying to figure out how to configure the keyboard.
>>
>>  Thanks!
>> David
>>
>
>

Re: [atreus] Where do people map the missing keys

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-03-16 @ 07:56
David Calavera <david.calavera@gmail.com> writes:

> - Swap colon and semicolon: I personally use colons way often than
> semicolons, so I might make sense to stop hitting shift every time I want a
> colon.

It's easy to place colon where semicolon currently is, or question mark
where slash is. Placing semicolon where colon currently is, on the other
hand, is tricky. You would have to replace the shift key with a key that
switched to a new layer, and the new layer would consist of the shifted
variant of every key, with the exception of semicolon and slash, which
would remain unshifted.

Essentially what you are doing is reimplementing your own shift key, but
with a couple special cases. I would recommend doing this on the TMK
firmware[1] rather than the standard one; it has better handling of
modifiers during transitioning layers.

Hope that makes sense.

-Phil

[1] - The TMK is a third-party firmware that's much more complex than mine,
but I am considering making it the recommended firmware going forward as
it's more featureful.

See this post for some background:
http://librelist.com/browser//atreus/2015/2/3/fwd-l2-mode-lockup/

Re: [atreus] Where do people map the missing keys

From:
Aj Christensen
Date:
2015-03-15 @ 22:32
I just use shift to get those keys. Do you want separate keys for some
other reason?

There are some blanks on Z through B on L2 for new keys.

cheers,

--aj
On Mar 16, 2015 11:29 AM, "David Calavera" <david.calavera@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody!
>
> I just started to test my new Atreus and I'm very happy with it, but I
> still need to map a few keys missing in the default querty layout. I was
> wondering where people put those keys, specially colon, double quotes and
> question mark and I thought it could be a good idea to learn from others
> that have been using the keyboard longer.
>
> It would be great if people could share their layouts for newbies like me
> that are still trying to figure out how to configure the keyboard.
>
> Thanks!
> David
>