librelist archives

« back to archive

Alps / Matias

Alps / Matias

From:
Tom Short
Date:
2015-03-12 @ 16:02
Has anyone tried making an Atreus with Alps / Matias switches? Does it work
with either the standard case or the PCB?

Re: [atreus] Alps / Matias

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-03-13 @ 02:15
Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> writes:

> Has anyone tried making an Atreus with Alps / Matias switches? Does it work
> with either the standard case or the PCB?

I built a prototype[1] with Matias caps a long time ago (before the
PCB was designed), as has one customer. Currently it requires cutting
the tabs out of the switch plate with a knife, but I'm working on a
second Matias prototype that should no longer need this.

I expect it would be at least a couple months before I could start
offering a Matias-compatible kit, though with some elbow grease it's
possible to make it work with the current kit. The main gotcha with the
current kit is that even if you cut the tabs out of the switch plate,
the two middle thumb keys are not rotated as they should be. Not a
problem with cherry switches since they are square, but the rectangular
Matias switches have a harder time with it. You could either make a
larger cut here and secure the switches with hot glue, or you could
stick with cherry switches for the middle two thumb keys.

I can post here once I've completed my Matias prototype to keep you
updated if you like.

-Phil

[1] - https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/14654421878/

Re: [atreus] Alps / Matias

From:
Tom Short
Date:
2015-03-13 @ 11:58
Thanks, Phil. Please post here when you complete your prototype.

On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:

> Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Has anyone tried making an Atreus with Alps / Matias switches? Does it
> work
> > with either the standard case or the PCB?
>
> I built a prototype[1] with Matias caps a long time ago (before the
> PCB was designed), as has one customer. Currently it requires cutting
> the tabs out of the switch plate with a knife, but I'm working on a
> second Matias prototype that should no longer need this.
>
> I expect it would be at least a couple months before I could start
> offering a Matias-compatible kit, though with some elbow grease it's
> possible to make it work with the current kit. The main gotcha with the
> current kit is that even if you cut the tabs out of the switch plate,
> the two middle thumb keys are not rotated as they should be. Not a
> problem with cherry switches since they are square, but the rectangular
> Matias switches have a harder time with it. You could either make a
> larger cut here and secure the switches with hot glue, or you could
> stick with cherry switches for the middle two thumb keys.
>
> I can post here once I've completed my Matias prototype to keep you
> updated if you like.
>
> -Phil
>
> [1] - https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/14654421878/
>

Re: [atreus] Alps / Matias

From:
Jd Carpenter
Date:
2015-03-13 @ 14:05
Or you could have this
<https://www.dropbox.com/s/k716b5l1icum9jz/atreus-case-alps.dxf?dl=0>
switch plate cut from 3mm thick plywood.  Sorry for DXF only.

Phil, feel free to add this to your repository if you like.



On Fri, Mar 13, 2015 at 6:58 AM, Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks, Phil. Please post here when you complete your prototype.
>
> On Thu, Mar 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:
>
>> Tom Short <tshort.rlists@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>> > Has anyone tried making an Atreus with Alps / Matias switches? Does it
>> work
>> > with either the standard case or the PCB?
>>
>> I built a prototype[1] with Matias caps a long time ago (before the
>> PCB was designed), as has one customer. Currently it requires cutting
>> the tabs out of the switch plate with a knife, but I'm working on a
>> second Matias prototype that should no longer need this.
>>
>> I expect it would be at least a couple months before I could start
>> offering a Matias-compatible kit, though with some elbow grease it's
>> possible to make it work with the current kit. The main gotcha with the
>> current kit is that even if you cut the tabs out of the switch plate,
>> the two middle thumb keys are not rotated as they should be. Not a
>> problem with cherry switches since they are square, but the rectangular
>> Matias switches have a harder time with it. You could either make a
>> larger cut here and secure the switches with hot glue, or you could
>> stick with cherry switches for the middle two thumb keys.
>>
>> I can post here once I've completed my Matias prototype to keep you
>> updated if you like.
>>
>> -Phil
>>
>> [1] - https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/14654421878/
>>
>
>

Re: [atreus] Alps / Matias

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-03-14 @ 14:13
JD Carpenter <jdcarpe@gmail.com> writes:

> Or you could have this
> <https://www.dropbox.com/s/k716b5l1icum9jz/atreus-case-alps.dxf?dl=0>
> switch plate cut from 3mm thick plywood.  Sorry for DXF only.
>
> Phil, feel free to add this to your repository if you like.

Oh man, I actually just made this exact same case file as an experiment
and sent it to get laser cut a week ago. It's still on its way to me,
but if it works out well in my prototype it should be an option in the
future. I should have pushed this out to the repository though to avoid
the duplicated effort.

Thanks JD! Have you cut this and built something around it, or is it
just something you've been playing with? It looks solid as it seems to
have the cuts in all the right places; just curious.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Alps / Matias

From:
Jd Carpenter
Date:
2015-03-14 @ 15:40
On Sat, Mar 14, 2015 at 9:13 AM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:

> JD Carpenter <jdcarpe@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Or you could have this
> > <https://www.dropbox.com/s/k716b5l1icum9jz/atreus-case-alps.dxf?dl=0>
> > switch plate cut from 3mm thick plywood.  Sorry for DXF only.
> >
> > Phil, feel free to add this to your repository if you like.
>
> Oh man, I actually just made this exact same case file as an experiment
> and sent it to get laser cut a week ago. It's still on its way to me,
> but if it works out well in my prototype it should be an option in the
> future. I should have pushed this out to the repository though to avoid
> the duplicated effort.
>

Ah, hopefully it will be successful for you!


>
> Thanks JD! Have you cut this and built something around it, or is it
> just something you've been playing with? It looks solid as it seems to
> have the cuts in all the right places; just curious.
>
> -Phil
>

It was just something I was playing around with. I enjoy making things like
that in CAD, anyway.