librelist archives

« back to archive

Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Fernando Febles Armas
Date:
2015-10-07 @ 18:52
There are not too much Alps keycaps out there: basically you buy an cheap
old keyboard with Alps clone switches to use the keycaps.

But there is a group buy running in Massdrop for a full set of 104
Doubleshot sculpted ABS Keycaps for 20$. I think that some Atreus
enthusiasts could be interested, even if you use only 40 keys.

I joined the group buy, but the problem is that there is a minimum order of
100, and by now there are only 81 purchased. There are still 4 days left.
You need to register with Massdrop to see the keycaps and buy the set.

You can register directly with www.massdrop.com, or using my share link
that could make me win a 'gift box':
https://www.massdrop.com/r/B6XKUS

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Joe Fiorini
Date:
2015-10-07 @ 19:00
Worth mentioning these are “sculpted” keycaps, meaning that they are 
different shapes per row, giving you a “slope” like you get on most 
manufactured keyboards. The keycaps that come with the Atreus kit are 
unsculpted, meaning each cap is the same size and shape. One is not 
necessarily better than the other, I was surprised by this once. It’s 
always good to know what you’re getting!

-- 
Joe Fiorini

On October 7, 2015 at 2:53:18 PM, Fernando Febles Armas 
(fernandofebles@gmail.com) wrote:

There are not too much Alps keycaps out there: basically you buy an cheap
old keyboard with Alps clone switches to use the keycaps.

But there is a group buy running in Massdrop for a full set of 104
Doubleshot sculpted ABS Keycaps for 20$. I think that some Atreus
enthusiasts could be interested, even if you use only 40 keys.

I joined the group buy, but the problem is that there is a minimum order of
100, and by now there are only 81 purchased. There are still 4 days left.
You need to register with Massdrop to see the keycaps and buy the set.

You can register directly with www.massdrop.com, or using my share link
that could make me win a 'gift box':
https://www.massdrop.com/r/B6XKUS

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Fernando Febles Armas
Date:
2015-10-07 @ 20:40
Yes, you're right. When I bought the Atreus kit, I thought that the 'flat'
unsculpted keycaps included there were just the ones that Phil Hagelberg
found for Matias switches. But when I started to use the Atreus I've
realised that they are fantastic keycaps, very pleasant to type with.

But as you say, they are not necessarily better than the sculpted
doubleshot keycaps that you can buy in Massdrop. And as there is really
hard to find Alps keycaps I'm willing to spend some money to try these in
my Atreus.

I hope someone else will join the drop :-)

On 7 October 2015 at 20:00, Joe Fiorini <joe@joefiorini.com> wrote:

> Worth mentioning these are “sculpted” keycaps, meaning that they are
> different shapes per row, giving you a “slope” like you get on most
> manufactured keyboards. The keycaps that come with the Atreus kit are
> unsculpted, meaning each cap is the same size and shape. One is not
> necessarily better than the other, I was surprised by this once. It’s
> always good to know what you’re getting!
>
> --
> Joe Fiorini
>
> On October 7, 2015 at 2:53:18 PM, Fernando Febles Armas (
> fernandofebles@gmail.com <fernandofebles@+gmail.com>) wrote:
>
> There are not too much Alps keycaps out there: basically you buy an cheap
> old keyboard with Alps clone switches to use the keycaps.
>
> But there is a group buy running in Massdrop for a full set of 104
> Doubleshot sculpted ABS Keycaps for 20$. I think that some Atreus
> enthusiasts could be interested, even if you use only 40 keys.
>
> I joined the group buy, but the problem is that there is a minimum order of
> 100, and by now there are only 81 purchased. There are still 4 days left.
> You need to register with Massdrop to see the keycaps and buy the set.
>
> You can register directly with www.massdrop.com, or using my share link
> that could make me win a 'gift box':
> https://www.massdrop.com/r/B6XKUS
>
>

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Michael Reilly
Date:
2015-10-07 @ 22:36
I got my set set from the last drop yesterday, and they work fairly well. I
greatly prefer sculptured keycaps to unsculptured, so I think they're more
comfortable. Despite the small array of keys on the atreus, I find my hands
getting lost on DSA without the aid of sculpture and homing nubs as anchors.

That being said, I find using the OEM profile caps for the bottom modifier
row to be uncomfortable, as most caps will end up being taller than the
bottom alpha row and the angled edges feel harsh on my thumbs. Consequently
I've swapped the alphas out for the OEM doubleshots  and kept the modifiers
in DSA profile, which, admittedly doesn't look as clean, but feels quite
nice.
On Oct 7, 2015 1:41 PM, "Fernando Febles Armas" <fernandofebles@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Yes, you're right. When I bought the Atreus kit, I thought that the 'flat'
> unsculpted keycaps included there were just the ones that Phil Hagelberg
> found for Matias switches. But when I started to use the Atreus I've
> realised that they are fantastic keycaps, very pleasant to type with.
>
> But as you say, they are not necessarily better than the sculpted
> doubleshot keycaps that you can buy in Massdrop. And as there is really
> hard to find Alps keycaps I'm willing to spend some money to try these in
> my Atreus.
>
> I hope someone else will join the drop :-)
>
> On 7 October 2015 at 20:00, Joe Fiorini <joe@joefiorini.com> wrote:
>
>> Worth mentioning these are “sculpted” keycaps, meaning that they are
>> different shapes per row, giving you a “slope” like you get on most
>> manufactured keyboards. The keycaps that come with the Atreus kit are
>> unsculpted, meaning each cap is the same size and shape. One is not
>> necessarily better than the other, I was surprised by this once. It’s
>> always good to know what you’re getting!
>>
>> --
>> Joe Fiorini
>>
>> On October 7, 2015 at 2:53:18 PM, Fernando Febles Armas (
>> fernandofebles@gmail.com <fernandofebles@+gmail.com>) wrote:
>>
>> There are not too much Alps keycaps out there: basically you buy an cheap
>> old keyboard with Alps clone switches to use the keycaps.
>>
>> But there is a group buy running in Massdrop for a full set of 104
>> Doubleshot sculpted ABS Keycaps for 20$. I think that some Atreus
>> enthusiasts could be interested, even if you use only 40 keys.
>>
>> I joined the group buy, but the problem is that there is a minimum order
>> of
>> 100, and by now there are only 81 purchased. There are still 4 days left.
>> You need to register with Massdrop to see the keycaps and buy the set.
>>
>> You can register directly with www.massdrop.com, or using my share link
>> that could make me win a 'gift box':
>> https://www.massdrop.com/r/B6XKUS
>>
>>
>

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-10-08 @ 00:27
Michael Reilly <mreilly95@gmail.com> writes:

> That being said, I find using the OEM profile caps for the bottom
> modifier row to be uncomfortable, as most caps will end up being
> taller than the bottom alpha row and the angled edges feel harsh on my
> thumbs. Consequently I've swapped the alphas out for the OEM
> doubleshots and kept the modifiers in DSA profile, which, admittedly
> doesn't look as clean, but feels quite nice.

I had some sculpted keys I used for a prototype. I took the bottom
middle row and flipped the 1x caps upside down:

  https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/17210673577/

Makes them a bit easier to hit with the thumbs and probably doesn't
stand out as much as using the unsculpted ones.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Joe Fiorini
Date:
2015-10-08 @ 00:48
So after replying earlier I realized I didn't know what I prefer. I had
some sculpted caps lying around (Max Pro black translucent caps I bought
off Massdrop) so I swapped them out today to give them a try. Of course,
they're blank, which meant it was very, very hard to tell what goes
where, but I did my best.

I ended up flipping the same thumb keys Phil did in his prototype (see
his previous reply on this thread). For the inside thumb keys I used two
that are the same size as the originals, but angled away from each
other. Now realizing that angled downward would be more comfortable for
the way I hold my thumbs.

It seems like the sculpted caps are not only angled for the rows, but
also sized inward toward the middle, making it very difficult to place
blank keycaps correctly. Does that sound right to those more experienced
than myself?

-- 
Joe Fiorini

On Wed, Oct 7, 2015, at 08:27 PM, Phil Hagelberg wrote:
> Michael Reilly <mreilly95@gmail.com> writes:
> 
> > That being said, I find using the OEM profile caps for the bottom
> > modifier row to be uncomfortable, as most caps will end up being
> > taller than the bottom alpha row and the angled edges feel harsh on my
> > thumbs. Consequently I've swapped the alphas out for the OEM
> > doubleshots and kept the modifiers in DSA profile, which, admittedly
> > doesn't look as clean, but feels quite nice.
> 
> I had some sculpted keys I used for a prototype. I took the bottom
> middle row and flipped the 1x caps upside down:
> 
>   https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/17210673577/
> 
> Makes them a bit easier to hit with the thumbs and probably doesn't
> stand out as much as using the unsculpted ones.
> 
> -Phil
> Email had 1 attachment:
> + signature.asc
>   1k (application/pgp-signature)

Re: [atreus] Doubleshot Alps keycaps on massdrop

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-10-08 @ 02:09
Joe Fiorini <joe@joefiorini.com> writes:

> I ended up flipping the same thumb keys Phil did in his prototype (see
> his previous reply on this thread). For the inside thumb keys I used two
> that are the same size as the originals, but angled away from each
> other. Now realizing that angled downward would be more comfortable for
> the way I hold my thumbs.

Yeah... I feel like it's a wash having sculpted caps for the
alphas. It's nicer for the thumb 1xs, but not so nice for the 1.5x
keys. All the sculpted 1.5x keys I've seen are shaped such that they
would be angled horizontally instead of vertically in the Atreus, which
is too bad.

> It seems like the sculpted caps are not only angled for the rows, but
> also sized inward toward the middle, making it very difficult to place
> blank keycaps correctly. Does that sound right to those more experienced
> than myself?

I don't have a lot of experience with sculpted caps; just this one
prototype and an earlier prototype with scavenged keys from an old 90s
Apple board[1]. However, I haven't heard of caps being sculpted in two
dimensions, only by row. Maybe there are some obscure sets that do this?

-Phil

[1] - https://www.flickr.com/photos/technomancy/14654421878