librelist archives

« back to archive

problem with switch size

problem with switch size

From:
Dejan Ranisavljevic
Date:
2015-10-14 @ 21:03
Hi all,

just finished soldering, and somehow switches seems much bigger then 
wholes, i am having hard time putting switches in the whole, towards pcb

Any tip maybe? Are all the switches same, i think i ordered quite 
switches, not sure? And my case is custom made from ponoko.

https://cloudup.com/cupTEEMe5ma

Re: [atreus] problem with switch size

From:
Michael Reilly
Date:
2015-10-14 @ 21:16
The switch holes are the wrong size for alps style switches. You want
15.5x12.8mm holes for alps.
Hi all,

just finished soldering, and somehow switches seems much bigger then
wholes, i am having hard time putting switches in the whole, towards pcb

Any tip maybe? Are all the switches same, i think i ordered quite switches,
not sure? And my case is custom made from ponoko.

https://cloudup.com/cupTEEMe5ma

Re: [atreus] problem with switch size

From:
Dejan Ranisavljevic
Date:
2015-10-14 @ 21:18
Oh great,

thats it for today then. Thanks.

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 11:16 PM, Michael Reilly <mreilly95@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> The switch holes are the wrong size for alps style switches. You want 
15.5x12.8mm holes for alps.
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> just finished soldering, and somehow switches seems much bigger then 
wholes, i am having hard time putting switches in the whole, towards pcb
> 
> Any tip maybe? Are all the switches same, i think i ordered quite 
switches, not sure? And my case is custom made from ponoko.
> 
> https://cloudup.com/cupTEEMe5ma <https://cloudup.com/cupTEEMe5ma>

Re: problem with switch size

From:
Dejan Ranisavljevic
Date:
2015-10-14 @ 21:13
Should the switches be glued from the PCB or how should i place them?

> On Oct 14, 2015, at 11:03 PM, Dejan Ranisavljevic 
<dejan.ranisavljevic@gmail.com> wrote:
> 
> Hi all,
> 
> just finished soldering, and somehow switches seems much bigger then 
wholes, i am having hard time putting switches in the whole, towards pcb
> 
> Any tip maybe? Are all the switches same, i think i ordered quite 
switches, not sure? And my case is custom made from ponoko.
> 
> https://cloudup.com/cupTEEMe5ma

Re: [atreus] Re: problem with switch size

From:
Phil Hagelberg
Date:
2015-10-15 @ 01:08
Dejan Ranisavljevic <dejan.ranisavljevic@gmail.com> writes:

> Should the switches be glued from the PCB or how should i place them?

The solder holding the pins into the PCB will hold the switches in place.

Unfortunately the Ponoko file has the cherry MX style switches, while
the quiet kits ship with Alps-style. However, if you're able to remove
the little tabs then the switches you have will fit. I have modified a
case to do this before, but it was a wooden case, so it was easier to
cut. You could try using a file to get rid of the notches though. Sorry
for the confusion on this point.

-Phil

Re: [atreus] problem with switch size

From:
Dejan Ranisavljevic
Date:
2015-10-17 @ 17:29
Thanks,

it took me some time, but i am very happy with results now.

https://cloudup.com/c9HDyfl8S3H <https://cloudup.com/c9HDyfl8S3H>


> On Oct 15, 2015, at 3:08 AM, Phil Hagelberg <phil@hagelb.org> wrote:
> 
> Dejan Ranisavljevic <dejan.ranisavljevic@gmail.com> writes:
> 
>> Should the switches be glued from the PCB or how should i place them?
> 
> The solder holding the pins into the PCB will hold the switches in place.
> 
> Unfortunately the Ponoko file has the cherry MX style switches, while
> the quiet kits ship with Alps-style. However, if you're able to remove
> the little tabs then the switches you have will fit. I have modified a
> case to do this before, but it was a wooden case, so it was easier to
> cut. You could try using a file to get rid of the notches though. Sorry
> for the confusion on this point.
> 
> -Phil